Poor Blade fit on BCCI knife

I just got my BCCI 112 and although the stag is nicely fit the side to side blade play is very disappointing to say the least. There is enough play that it makes a clicking sound when moving it side to side with the blade locked open!

Additionally, the blade does not close smoothly with any "talk".

I looked at the knife under a 15X loop and noticed the locking bar has a gap on one side and it looks like some sort of adhesive is between it and the liner. I also noticed some distinct scratch marks on the top of the liners next to the lock bar?

I would like to have these flaws fixed and would appreciate information how to do so.

Thanks,
Peter

I have a very similar problem with my brand-new Buck Strider 880SP. The blade rattles audibly if you shake it lightly while it's open. You can see the blade moving, and feel it moving around. I tried tightening the pivot bolt but tightening it up to the point where the blade doesn't rattle makes it so tight it's very difficult to open. If I tighten it all the way up so I have to pull it open with both hands, and then open and close the blade a few times, pretty soon it is back to the super floppy, rattling blade. I'm afraid if I try to use it on something it will break apart and chop my fingers off.

I wondered if loc-tite might help but I'm sure this is a defect.

I would also like to know who to send it to at the factory so they can take a look at it. This is pretty discouraging for a knife that retails for almost $200. I have the mini version of the exact same knife and it's great. This one's a mess. And too bad, because otherwise it's a pretty cool knife.

Sorry guys, :(
Those are both easy fixes, and they should have been taken care of before they got into your hands. The 112 needs to visit our shop for sure, this is not a do it yourself repair.
The 880 sounds like it needs loc tite. Its a very fine line between "so tight the wobble is gone but you need 2 hands to open it", and "perfect". With loc-tight on the fastener, you find that perfect spot, let the loc-tight set, and your good. The fact that the blade keeps getting loose as you use it tells me the loc-tight is not there or wore out.
Both knives can be sent to me at:
Buck Knives
660 South Lochsa Street
Post Falls, ID 83854
Attention: Joe Houser

All work will be covered under the warranty of course.

Thanks Joe. I will get it in the mail later today.

I agree that it should not have left Buck in the shape it is in.

Beside the time and cost ($5.95 Priority Mail) to send it back and wait for it to return, is the disappointment of receiving a "custom" knife in less than desirable condition.

Peter

peterinct said:
I just got my BCCI 112 and although the stag is nicely fit the side to side blade play is very disappointing to say the least. There is enough play that it makes a clicking sound when moving it side to side with the blade locked open!

Well, that's two with the loose blades. I've come to be pretty pessimistic about Buck's "quality control". I'll wait until the little guy has gotten over the initial excitement, then put it in the 1-ton press and see what effect that has on the blade play. If no effect, I'll pop the pin out & clean it up. I still have some Nickel rod left here for a new pin.

As far as the Stag, aside from being mismatched, the fit is OK. ;)

Back