Popular blade styles? Been out of the game too long

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Hankins, Dec 29, 2019.

Pick three

Poll closed Jan 8, 2020.
  1. Hunter

65.4%
  2. Combat

30.8%
  3. Rustic chopper

15.4%
  4. Balisong

7.7%
  5. Fighters

38.5%
  6. Small concealed

50.0%
  7. Asian style

19.2%
  8. Fancy custom Kitchen

30.8%
  9. Wrapped Tanto's

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hankins

Hankins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2008
    Need your help Your opinion on what blade style is popular these days...
    Getting ready to throw the hat back into the ring and will be concentrating on three blade styles. I just like making blades!
    Maker for 19yrs and made whatever struck me at the moment

DustinY likes this.
  2. ashwinearl

ashwinearl KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 9, 2006
    With regards to fixed blades, one thing that I am noticing is that small fixed blades seem to be growing in popularity. Look at the Every day carry (EDC) movement and pictures they post. The Bushcraft specific knives seem popular with certain segment.

3. Josh Rider

Josh Rider Stuff maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    The old stuff is the best stuff.

4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    The popular new blades utilize useless multiple grinds and "tanto" blades.
    Sorry- I'm a dinosaur, but I know practical blades.

bemymonkey, DustinY and Ken H> like this.
  5. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I make smaller EDC type knives. 1/8", 2-3,5" blades with 3 or 4 finger grips and inside front pocket sheaths.

But mostly make what you enjoy making

DustinY likes this.
  6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I think the most popular "new" style is kitchen knives. You couldn't give them away 10 years ago, now people seek you out to see if you make kitchen knives.

Heli00, Storm W, DustinY and 3 others like this.
  7. mpcoppin

mpcoppin

Dec 8, 2017
    I’ll second the kitchen knife idea. When I started messing around with this hobby (or, more accurately, addiction) only a few family members or friends ever seemed to express any interest in what I was doing. Then I made one chef’s knife for a friend and all of the sudden everybody is asking me if I’ll make them one, if I’ve got any to sell, or if I’ll help them make one.

Keep in mind, I am a total newcomer and my stuff is not very good; I have no business taking money from anybody for a knife. But, I could probably sell kitchen knives all day if I wanted.

DustinY likes this.
  8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The average person hunts a few days a year to none at all. The tasks requiring a knife in a hunting trip are minimal in most cases.

The average person may carry a pocket knife, but rarely an EDC. The tasks that require a knife on a daily basis are seldom.

The average person eats two to three times a day. Most of those meals require a knife. I don't know many people who don't use a kitchen knife at least three times a week. Many use one ten to twenty times a week. They also make superb gifts (for the reasons just given).

9. Hankins

Hankins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2008
    Sage advice Stacy

DustinY likes this.
  10. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Make what YOU LIKE and try to give it your own look in some way. If it appeals to you, is unique and has proper fit and finish, folks will like it. Trying to make what you think others want, is not the way to approach it, IMO.

kuraki and Hengelo_77 like this.
  11. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    Making what you think others want can net you lots of business that you don't want and make you hate making knives.

12. Hankins

Dec 7, 2008
    Rick I get it... and your correct sir
    Sorta landed in that boat when I bailed
    However it also allows one the opportunity to make what they like for the fun of it without the $$$$ signs in the way

13. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    That being said, there is nothing wrong with asking what's popular. I can do my own take on just about any style of blade out there. Many a client has introduced me to knife profiles and features that I have never heard of. It is fun to make it your own. I'm glad to hear you've come back to the craft.