Popular blade styles? Been out of the game too long

Pick three

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hankins

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Need your help Your opinion on what blade style is popular these days...
Getting ready to throw the hat back into the ring and will be concentrating on three blade styles. I just like making blades!
Maker for 19yrs and made whatever struck me at the moment

With regards to fixed blades, one thing that I am noticing is that small fixed blades seem to be growing in popularity. Look at the Every day carry (EDC) movement and pictures they post. The Bushcraft specific knives seem popular with certain segment.

I make smaller EDC type knives. 1/8", 2-3,5" blades with 3 or 4 finger grips and inside front pocket sheaths.

But mostly make what you enjoy making

kitchen knives

I’ll second the kitchen knife idea. When I started messing around with this hobby (or, more accurately, addiction) only a few family members or friends ever seemed to express any interest in what I was doing. Then I made one chef’s knife for a friend and all of the sudden everybody is asking me if I’ll make them one, if I’ve got any to sell, or if I’ll help them make one.

Keep in mind, I am a total newcomer and my stuff is not very good; I have no business taking money from anybody for a knife. But, I could probably sell kitchen knives all day if I wanted.

The average person hunts a few days a year to none at all. The tasks requiring a knife in a hunting trip are minimal in most cases.

The average person may carry a pocket knife, but rarely an EDC. The tasks that require a knife on a daily basis are seldom.

The average person eats two to three times a day. Most of those meals require a knife. I don't know many people who don't use a kitchen knife at least three times a week. Many use one ten to twenty times a week. They also make superb gifts (for the reasons just given).

Make what YOU LIKE and try to give it your own look in some way. If it appeals to you, is unique and has proper fit and finish, folks will like it. Trying to make what you think others want, is not the way to approach it, IMO.

Make what YOU LIKE and try to give it your own look in some way. If it appeals to you, is unique and has proper fit and finish, folks will like it. Trying to make what you think others want, is not the way to approach it, IMO.

Making what you think others want can net you lots of business that you don't want and make you hate making knives.

Rick I get it... and your correct sir
Sorta landed in that boat when I bailed
However it also allows one the opportunity to make what they like for the fun of it without the $$$$ signs in the way

Rick I get it... and your correct sir
Sorta landed in that boat when I bailed
However it also allows one the opportunity to make what they like for the fun of it without the $$$$ signs in the way
That being said, there is nothing wrong with asking what's popular. I can do my own take on just about any style of blade out there. Many a client has introduced me to knife profiles and features that I have never heard of. It is fun to make it your own. I'm glad to hear you've come back to the craft.

Back