Popularity of plain VS combo edges

I agree, for any of the tasks I'll want a serrated knife for, I will really want the whole thing serrated.

Spyderco has serrated blades locked down do they? A coworker mentioned that they were the people to go to for a serrated knife last summer, I guess I didn't realize they had such light competition in the production knife world.

Personally, I'd love a fully serrated MiniGrip or 710, in S30V.
Take a look at the Endura 4 SE in ZDP189. Cuts very well and holds an edge for a long time.
I agree, for any of the tasks I'll want a serrated knife for, I will really want the whole thing serrated.

Spyderco has serrated blades locked down do they? A coworker mentioned that they were the people to go to for a serrated knife last summer, I guess I didn't realize they had such light competition in the production knife world.
Almost every knife manufacturer has a serrated design and many of them work very well, Benchmade being a good example. Many people believe Spyderco has the best design for aggressive cutting chores, hence they are recommended often.

A fully serrated Spyderco Endura is a cutting machine and a thing of beauty.
I'll bet, admittedly rather anecdotally, that more public servants carry serrated than plain edge knives simply because they work.
I cut a lot of cardboard boxes and carried mine daily for years without any maintenance.
After I while I broke down and bought a set of the folding DMT diamond hones with which to sharpen them.

I can't tell which conversation is older; PE or CE, Sebbie VS Alias...or maybe plain or peanut? ;) What it boils down to is preference. I owned a 914(?) Stryker that was fully serrated and designed as an EMT tool that cut through anything as it was designed to. But it was lousy at dispatching celery. While I do think there's no place for a CE edge in a sub 3" knife, IMO, the rest is fair game. As for getting up in arms on the subject there's really no place for it here and it gets old no matter the Forum. If you don't like a CE blade don't buy it. If you like a PE blade then buy that...! :rolleyes:

I can't tell which conversation is older; PE or CE, Sebbie VS Alias...or maybe plain or peanut? ;) What it boils down to is preference. I owned a 914(?) Stryker that was fully serrated and designed as an EMT tool that cut through anything as it was designed to. But it was lousy at dispatching celery. While I do think there's no place for a CE edge in a sub 3" knife, IMO, the rest is fair game. As for getting up in arms on the subject there's really no place for it here and it gets old no matter the Forum. If you don't like a CE blade don't buy it. If you like a PE blade then buy that...! :rolleyes:

And... If you don't like "vs" discussions, don't read them and don't comment on them:D

There was one particular time when my friend house Gate wouldn't open...the sliding gate would open a few feet then closed. We got out the car and check out the Gate's drive chain...the PVC hard plastics box holding the motor which the chain tracking thru, was scraping against each other. I took my Kershaw Asset CE trying cutting the hard plastic but it would not take....I was only using the front PE portion....then I try digging in and use the serration portion on the base of the blade....It a difference of night and day...it's a tight spot, I don't think you can get a saw in there.

Serration has their place in regards to usage...whom that don't know, now you know...if you collect blades...sure PE is high demand...but serrations is for true users!

as you said- this road has been well traveled ;)

I'm just a newb in the knife forum. but I already know I preffer the PE. Ive noticed that alot of the sprint runs or LE are done in CE. For instance I was in the market for SOG Flash II and the only PE available was the Black handle. However the blue, green, grey, yellow, digicam handles were all available with the CE.

Weighing in on this old thread. I think that if you're carrying your knife as a tool, CE can't be beat. There are things serrations will make easy work of that will kill your PE if it can even do the job at all.

That said, I just bought the benchmade auto stryker in CE and the PE was some out, which confirms what many others have said regarding popularity. I would have bought the PE myself but I'm a sucker for aesthetics and that particular model knife in PE turns me off. Something about the tanto point and line of the blade just works in CE.

Also weighing in on an old topic... For me, it’s a combo edge. 18 years ago I bought a Benchmade 910 Stryker with a combo edge. It’s the only knife I carry, and one of 5 folding knives I own (all Benchmade, and all just small investments). I have used the knife hard, and have carried it everyday since 2001. Here’s why I vote comb edge... often times I here people talking about EDC, and how to optimize, and diversify the capability of what they carry. Reason 1. A combo edge is more diverse. The amount of plain edge, and serrated edge is fine for doing 99% of cutting jobs I have ever come up against in my everyday life. I hunt, camp, hike, farm, work manual jobs, etc. It’s like two knives in one. Ok, heres the next point. I’m busy, and rarely keep a super sharp edge on the plain portion of my knife. It’s definitely isn’t popping hairs. Turns out, that is fine, because while a have sharpened the plain edge hundreds of times, I’ve have only sharpened the serrations 3 times in 18 years. No, they have never failed to make short work or cardboard, rope, heavy fabric etc. Next point. I use the serrations most, the point second, and the plain edge least. I know this will probably make most of you cringe, but I love the tanto blade, because the point where the edge geometry changes, acts like a big serration tooth, or a secondary, way less pointy point, but that’s for another discussion. I suspect that there are a lot of people out there not digging the combo edge for aesthetic reasons. Ok, I can admit that some knives look nicer to me then others, but in the end, I’m a user of tools, not a collector, and function always trumps aesthetics for me. If the ugliest knife in the world was the most ergonomic, best built, and most functional, I would carry it, and never care what anyone thought about me for doing so. Just a side note. I use my everyday carry knife for impromptu situations. If it was my dedicated hunting knife, I would keep it hair popping sharp, much as I do my hunting knife, but it isn’t. I use it for all manner of things, and often times, things it wasn’t intended for, like digging, scraping, and prying. . Combo edge all the way for this guy.

I much prefer a combo edge---but--only in a larger knife---on a smaller blade the little combo patch just isn't worth the trouble. My smaller combo's like a Mini-grip or Mini-Presidio don't get nearly as much use as their plain counterparts---but that said, I usually carry a larger knife anyway.

Have been carrying a combo edge drop point Stryker for about a year now and the serrations get used almost daily---I touch up the patch with a Sharpmaker now and then.

I've seen a few reviews on YouTube in which all the blades were combo. They said the same thing...They don't like combos but as collectors they are much cheaper because the dealers can't get rid of them.

Serrations are the worst thing anyone has ever done to a knife blade. So many newbies keep repeating the rope thing that people believe it is true. You'll not find anyone that is a true experienced knife person that owns and uses serrations. Example? Show me a Bush Crafter that owns a serrated blade.
Serrations are for the fantasy groups, like survival folks. Most don't know what they might need a blade to do and bought into the serration hype. The survival blade gets thrown in to packs, trucks, or whatever and mostly never used.

I bought a few different manufactures serrated blades to test all the serration theories to see what worked best. The bottom-line is they are simply bad and don't do anything well.

If I see someone with a serrated blade I automatically know where their knife knowledge begins and ends.

I'm pretty sure you're not serious but it is funny that a number of people thought you might be.

No problem here with combo edges provided that it's a larger blade, say above 3.5 inches. Enough of both edges to be useful. I have an old Benchmade Subrosa in combo edge, that I purposely chose over the plain edge because the serrations are on the recurved portion (don't like recurves). No problems maintaining both edges on a Sharpmaker :

timthumb.php

Back