Positive firsthand experience with Lynn Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the folders I have the G10 is finished just like any other brands, not particularly rough or pocket shredding. The CTS-Xhp isn't a low grade steel and it is done very well by them, great edge holding and cutting performance for me. Haven't had to deal with customer service, as for overseas well welcome to a whole world of knives made overseas for all sorts of companies.

Cheap G10 that's poorly finished
Shitty customer service
Cheap steel grades
Made overseas by low bid contractors
They sell purely on hype marketing. There are many manufacturers that offer a better overall value for the money spent.

Some of your comment may well be true on some CS models.

However, my American Lawman and Trailmaster are both excellent knives for the price. In fact, i'd put my American Lawman up against any folder under $100.

I may be persuaded to agree with you on the Customer "non" Service!!!

Larry, great point about separating the showmanship and marketing from the man. I've never met Lynn, but I've read and seen a couple interviews with him, and he definitely struck me as a decent guy. Good to hear a similar opinion from someone who's actually hung out with him. :thumbup:

A LOT of people think Lynn is some goofy guy who screams at his audience and obsesses over unlikely self-defense scenarios involving impractical weapons.

First time I've felt compelled to post anything since joining this forum years ago, but, without commenting on Lynn personally or his products, I will say that he comes across as a thoroughly preposterous figure through his marketing persona. As much as it probably helps him sell knives to young people, it is a difficult act for many of us to accept. And I'm not sure what he told you over dinner at the aforementioned prime rib buffet, but there is no way in hell that LT hunts anything but the neighborhood cats with a samurai sword. I mean, come on.

Last edited:
They really let me down with my 4max. Customer service was supposed to contact me to replace mine when they received stock. They never contacted me. The 4max that I did buy never should of left the factory...Meanwhile a youtube reviewer with a similar issue gets 5 star treatment. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Shitty customer service
Cheap steel grades
They sell purely on hype marketing. There are many manufacturers that offer a better overall value for the money spent.

All the G10 I have seen of theirs is the same as Spyderco and ZT use...different pattern on some. But the new pattern on the American Lawman looks just like a Para 2.

Customer Service, have no idea.

Steel....CPM-3V, CPM-20CV, O-1, D-2, CTX-XHP, BD1 all seem decent.

Taiwan puts out great quality and they pay fair wages. Spyderco agrees.

I would not have said this a few years ago, but if I only could use knives from one company, CS would fit every need without compromising anything.

Last edited:
Shitty customer service
Cheap steel grades

Hahaha thanks for the laugh mate, really love bumping into guys like you.

Cheap poorly finished G-10 - never once have i ever seen poorly finished G10 on a CS knife. Go look at the textures on the Ultimate hunter/swift, beats most G10 i've ever seen on a knife.
Shitty customer service - Fine, you can have that, but i've never had to contact them because i've never had an issue on a single knife in over 10 years of buying CS knives.
Cheap steel grades - I'm so glad you said that, BD1, CPM-20CV, CPM-3V, O-1, CTX-XHP, low grades?, you wont find these steels on a stronger, affordable more well made knife from any other brand. Fact.
Made Overseas - who bloody cares? are you that sensitive over where your blade is ground? Put down the flag and lay off the caffeine. Spyderco out-sources also.
Sell purely on hype marketing - They sell purely on the fact that their knives work and last. They don't get blade play, or lock stick, or lock slip, or lock rock or need graphite on the lock bar, or more tension bent on the lock bar, or to be sent back to a ranch or home base to get "tweaked" and get back to you in 3 weeks.

Dislike them for whatever reason you want man, but don't come to a knife forum where there are experienced knife users who have had these knives in hand for decades and talk rubbish.

Find me a bigger laugh than the fact a sub $100 CS knife will dominate probably any $1000 + frame lock custom in real world cutting and hard work.

And i'm still waiting on you to list the companies which offer more for the price, please provide the list.

Last edited:
Regarding their customer service, it definitely seems a bit "hit or miss", especially via e-mail. Based on comments over at the CS forums, it is better to call than e-mail. However, overall I personally have had pretty good luck with e-mail...one time I asked them if I could buy a replacement sharpening stone (the one they used to provide with the R1 Military Classic and Black Bear Classic) and they sent me one free of charge.

Dude is just a hardcore blade/weapons nut. And unabashedly so. Yeah I think CS's test are silly, and I've never met Lynn, but I have a feeling we would get a long just fine :thumbup:

I'm not sure I would call Lynn a "knifemaker". Company owner, martial arts enthusiast, hunter and Id even stretch to say designer. But not a knife maker. I don't think anyone questions that lynn has some positive attributes. But I do think he wears his big boy pants and can "defend" himself.

For the people complaining about customer service emails, contact them by phone. From what I hear, it's a much, much more reliable way to get your issue resolved. I wouldn't know personally, as I've never had a reason to contact customer service for any of my dozens of Cold Steel products.

And none of the CS folders I own are in anything "better" than AUS 8. No one does AUS 8 better than Lynn.

If you're limiting the range to "Knife companies using AUS8 in a significant portion of their line," then it's a very small group competing with Lynn for that honor, so it's not really saying that much.

Also, I believe Cold Steel still does not make any of their own knives. They design and market, but don't manufacture. So the quality of their knives has varied over time depending on whom they have doing their OEM work, just like their trademarked 'San Mai III' has been different steels at different times. Right now I'd say they're on an upswing, but IMHO Lynn continues to do himself no favors when even his friends describe his public appearances with the words "foaming at the mouth."

I'll tell you what they are the best at, they have the best price/performance/materials/quality/strength ratios of any knife brand out there. Fact.

Um, no, that's literally the definition of an opinion.

I really have nothing against Lynn and/or CS, I just think his demonstrations and videos come across as "mall ninja-ish".

I own a CS Code 4 PE in CTS-XHP. I like it. I would buy a SRK in VG1 if I found a good price too.

Just noticed, the OP has 5 posts and all are in this thread.

Since they upgraded their steels and coating a couple years ago I've been a fan. Not that they were bad before. I had a Carbon V Trailmaster years ago that I really enjoyed.
More recent purchases include the Recon 1, Hold Out 2 and Medium Talwar. They are all well made.
I view the marketing as amusement.

But I do think he wears his big boy pants and can "defend" himself.

Bingo. Purple DC hit it on the head. Lynn Thompson wears a big pair of underwear, and that's worth of even the most grudging respect, in my opinion. Lynn's style of presentation might not be everyone's thing, but he is a man. Look, I've never visited the point of manufacture for any of the Cold Steel line, but I've also never had any quality, performance, or durability issues at all. Not a single one. And that's what TRULY matters. As I said, I like ALL the knife companies, but I would rather carry an indestructible CS folder than any custom blade I've ever handled.

And I'm not sure what he told you over dinner at the aforementioned prime rib buffet, but there is no way in hell that LT hunts anything but the neighborhood cats with a samurai sword. I mean, come on.

Wanna bet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKI1xmtf5Ck&t=88s

Last edited:
As controversial (and goofy) Mr. L. Thompson comes off, Cold Steel offers many (very) affordable models which provided (and still do) a low cost entry in the knife world. This should be credited.

Yeah i'll just highlight it for you since you seem to have trouble reading. My comment that you quoted contained this line of text.

"best price/performance/materials/quality/strength ratios of any knife brand out there. Fact."

Do you need some more info? i'll gladly expand on this if it's hard for you to understand.

I was asking if that is the only reason you support cold steal......... What I mean to say is that Lynn is a bullying a$$ hole he said the following claiming he owned a patent to a 1000 year old process

Here is the message (with some variation) that several custom knife makers are receiving:

"Dear (does not matter): I am writing to advise you that your use of the term SAN MAI in (Does not matter) infringes on the trademark rights of Cold Steel, Inc. (Cold Steel). I understand that you may not have been aware of this trademark or of Cold Steel’s long-standing use of the name SAN MAI. Therefore, I ask that you refrain from using the term SAN MAI to refer to any knife, layered steel or related products, except in regard to the products sold by Cold Steel, Inc.
Cold Steel owns the U.S. trademark registrations referenced above and has used the trademarks SAN MAI® and SAN MAI III® in connection with knives and layered steel since at least 1986. Cold Steel owns the exclusive right to use these terms in connection with those products.

I ask that you discontinue the use of the words SAN MAI and any confusingly similar trademark, and remove any references to SAN MAI from any websites and Social Media pages within 10 days from receipt of this letter. Please also remove any references to SAN MAI in printed materials before the next print edition or version of those materials is released.
I also kindly ask that you post a retraction online regarding this error, ensuring that there is no further misunderstanding within your client or fan community. Please acknowledge receipt of this letter, and advise my team of the steps you will take to help remedy this situation.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Lynn C. Thompson
President
Cold Steel, Inc.
1-800-255-4716"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back