1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Post-Blade NMSFNO leather giveaway--congrats, rlacan71!

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by uyotg, Jun 13, 2012.

1. uyotg

uyotg Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Well, I wish I had a knife to giveaway, but I did not get anything at Blade and don't really have anything else to give away (yet), but I'm betting on the NMSFNO's ubiquitous popularity and Dwayne's awesome leatherwork to gain some steam.

Here is one of Dwayne's NMSFNO sheaths: mottled finish, mid-ride drop loop, handle keeper retention. And it can be yours! (The knife is not included.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

To enter, tell me what makes you happy in life and how you found it or found out about it.

Let me start, making this my official heartfelt "Blade-was-awesome" statement. Folks, there used to be a time when I could find joy in almost anything. Something changed a few months into my first full-time, long-term job. I started needing to get stuff to satisfy myself. I've had trouble saving up any money all this time, and it's embarrassing and I'm ashamed of it. It's always been a point of stress, yet I just couldn't stop spending. When I found Busse, you'd think something like that would have gotten worse, but it actually helped me focus my interests, and I controlled this bad habit a bit. I was doing better, but then I realized that I always remember that five-week long post-graduation trip; every place I've visited with my wife; hanging out with friends that night during that huge 2003 Northeast blackout; the very first prime rib roast I made. And most recently, the induction dinner.

I used to think the saying that money doesn't buy happiness was false, just a way to help the 99% "cope." I'd like to refine this a bit--money can buy happiness, but you need to know what to spend it on. As a newly inducted hog, I'm sorry to say that for me it is not INFI, but it's experiences. I made a ton of financial mistakes in planning this trip to Blade and felt a lot of anxiety, but once I got there, once the induction party started (and after a few drinks on my part), I knew I did the right thing. I would not hesitate to do it again. Despite how drunk I got, I remember everything, and I would do it again. And that's why I need you all to stop me from binging next year, please, because I'd like to stick around longer than I did :eek:

I met the friendliest, most awesome people Saturday night, and you all had awesome accents I don't get to hear in NYC :p So here's my little way of saying thanks for setting me right, and as long as I can help it, it won't be my last giveaway.

Bonus life lesson: I lost my induction t-shirt, shared my sadness with Garth, and he told me, "Don't sweat the little things in life," assuring me he'll send me a new one. That's what I'm talking about :thumbup: it's not just a knife company and its customers; it's friends, a second family, being honest and personal with each other beyond business stuff. He could've just said he'd send me a new one, but instead, he gave me some of his wisdom.

The giveaway is over once these conditions are satisfied:
    1. It's at least June 22
    2. Someone tells me Terry's, Ronnie's, and Mark's forum names (all people I met at the dinner whose forum names I didn't get)

Not CONUS only!
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. WLJ4163

WLJ4163 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I have found several things that make me happy in life. Trying to live a disciplined life, serving others, and my Christian faith.
    This mixture of service and belief gives me strength in a sometimes cruel world.
    I also have several hobbies to work out my negative energy, jui-jitsu, guns, and knives!

Thanks for giving away this great looking sheath!

3. <Flux>

<Flux>

Apr 28, 2011
    Well, there are many things that make me happy in life, but in the spirit of this giveaway, I know exactly which one to write about.

Being part of the Busse & Kin community makes me happy. The spirit of the community is so overwhelmingly positive and I have never found another place quite like it. I have met some of the friendliest, most helpful and generous people I've ever had the pleasure of conversing with through the community. Jerry, Dan and the rest of the crew have created something much greater than a knife company. In many ways, the community is more important to me than the knives I buy.

Also, knowing that my family and loved ones are healthy and happy makes me happy. </snip>

Gary, you are definitely one of the coolest and nicest guy I have had the opportunity to meet through the Busse community. This Giveaway just reinforces what I have stated above. Thanks for the opportunity! That is a beautiful sheath for an awesome knife! I hope the winner carries it proudly.

More soon.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  4. drbarnes

drbarnes

Sep 13, 2010
    Awesome giveaway Gary! I am not going to enter for undisclosed reasons but that is very generous!

I am at work now so I will add more later but marks forum name is m67. I dont remember terry or ronnies but i would like to know that as well

David

5. Camber

Camber Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2011
    What makes me happy....well, I'm still searching in a lot of ways, but walking with my dogs and girlfriend on Sunday mornings every week is really nice. I always feel at peace then.

And I believe Terry's forum name is TNRat.

Thank you for the opportunity

6. Beckerhead83

Beckerhead83 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I would have to say that being outdoors, camping, fishing, or just hanging out at a BBQ with my friends and family is what really gets me going. When I was young I would spend most of my time in the woods by myself building forts, catching frogs, ect... I live in a city right now and am quickly realizing this isn't the place for me. I won't truly be happy until l can be with nature, That and a NMSFNO on my side, once I get a sheath for her lol :)

Thanks for the opportunity.

7. mctrinket

mctrinket

Feb 26, 2012
    I have been spending way too much on knives as well. Waiting on my LTC and then I will be spending way too much on guns. It's tough, especially when you see an opportunity to snag a really nice item, especially when you know if you don't snag it NOW, you may never have another chance. My bank account and credit limit are stretched to the max and I'm really struggling not to give in and buy any more steel.

That being said, I just ordered a new NMSFNO from the custom shop. So I think I am hopeless.

8. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    Kim was lying in the ICU. It was about three am, the night of the hit and run. I could feel the hate welling up inside of me, and it was directed toward a blurry face. No good description of the driver was available from the witnesses, but given the circumstances, the place, in my mind the face was of a young, black man. I grew up in Alabama during the fifties and sixties, but my dad had been a man of compassion and understanding toward everyone, and I knew he would be ashamed of me. I didn't want this! So I prayed to God that I would not become a hater.
    That prayer was answered, immediately. The feeling, the face, went away, never to return.

Fast forward one and a half years. Kim and I had begun going to our church and using the hallways to practice walking on her walker.
    (I can remember us rejoicing the first time she made it ten feet.) In the back of my mind I knew that there was a critical chore remaining undone. So one day we sat in the auditorium and I discussed it with her. We had to deal with the person who had hit her. The person in whose name we professed to believe had made it crystal clear. We had to pray for and forgive the driver. Even more we had to pray for good things for him/her. Kim agreed. So we did. The first time I knew I didn't really mean it, but I forced the words out. The second day was a little easier, but not much. By day three I had started to be sincere. But what good thing do you pray for a person who had hurt us so grieviously? We prayed that God would not let that person rest, that He would weigh on him until he came to find peace in Jesus.

I have no idea if there has been any effect on that person, but I know with a certainty that there have been tremendous benefits for Kim and I.
    It is so much easier, dare I say happier, to live in peace without the terrible burden of seething hate. We were able to go about the daunting recovery before us with a lighter load to bear.

It is very common, when we tell new acquaintances Kim's story, that they say that it must really eat at us that the person has never been caught. No, it doesn't. We don't want to live that way. Given the circumstances, forgiveness and peace have made me happy.

9. Moonberrys

Moonberrys

Aug 26, 2010
    What makes me happy? Hmmm, I would have to say spending time with my girlfriend and family. Life is short so I'm making sure to enjoy every minute I can with the people that I care the most about! Thanks for the chance also!

10. dericdesmond

dericdesmond Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    What makes me happy is my tactical butter knife. Its a lean chopping machine that will take whatever I throw at it. I found it on ebay and sniped it from under Ham67s snout so it makes it that more special. Beer also makes me happy, as a child, I found out about beer mainly because it was my responsibility to retrieve them from the fridge for my old man. It also made me happy because it would give me the chance to help my father by opening his can. In return, id take a small sip before he saw me and that really made me happy.

PS, not en entry, but thanks for the chance G!

11. dericdesmond

Sep 10, 2007
    Great post sir. Much respect for being a bigger man then I could ever dream to be.

12. bobbystoney

bobbystoney Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2010
    There is nothing that makes me happier than watching my daughter smile and laugh. After long hours at work and the everyday stress of life, spending time with her is what keeps me sane.

13. uyotg

uyotg Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks, Collin! This Terry, right?

I think I drbarnes got Mark correct. Now I need to see a Ronnie show up. I wonder if Ronnie is RoNNiE :confused:

Great entries so far. Some are real inspiring. I'm going to choose the winner with a random number generator, matching up to the post numbers, and picking the first qualifying post that I like and can take something away from for my own life!

14. dericdesmond

Sep 10, 2007
    Ronnie from the show is stricknine on the forums. Doesnt post much these days but is always here in spirit.

15. Havoc550

Havoc550 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 9, 2011
    What makes me happy in life by Havoc550/HamHock550/HavocRat/Tim Bujnoch (Booj-knock (smooth "J", not a jarring one))

So far, nothing!! As I told Eric at the Busse dinner, I am one of the most negative people on this planet. I can make a winner feel like a loser, poke holes in any fool-proof plan and crap on a rainbow. Nothing is ever enough for me, ever!! Whenever I make positive progress in life, all I say to myself is why didn't I do better. Lets say I turned 10k into 100k on the market...I will tell myself I should have bought more and therefore made more and since I didn't, I failed. When a stock loses money, I really hate the world. I don't really play the market all that much, just using it as a hypothetical example.

Also, I am an overbearing perfectionist. The smallest scratch on anything and I want to get rid of it even if its a utilitarian object like a tanker gray Busse. I will even do something stupid like make a matching scratch on the opposite side so the imperfection is now balanced. I am sure there is some psychological term for that, at least more specific than just "crazy".

So, therefore I should win that sheath so that I may find happiness for a few moments. Thank You!!

16. topfuel6

topfuel6 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Happiness does not flow easily. For a number of years, playing music in various bands - at showcases for original music to down-and-dirty bars, was my pleasure source. Beer required. Scientific research and teaching postgrads provided/provides long-term fulfilment and sustenance, but I wouldn't say happiness. Beer required. I latched onto drag racing as a hobby/passion and climbed the ladder of performance over a 15-plus year period. This is an intoxicating addiction requiring much time-commitment and investment puncuated by moments of a type of gratification that most never experience. Aside from avocations, my wife and our three dogs provide as much companionship, experiences and happiness as I need.

17. M67

M67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 17, 2010
    The double vodka shot wasn't that bad :p

What you mentioned there about Saturday night, the experiences, makes me happy in life as well. I have my friends from football in high school and college, and we had a blast, and had a lot of nights that I plain just don't remember.

But...I have a fantastic time around all the Busse crew, and everyone who makes the treck to be there. I'll admit, I hate traveling. Not a fan. I'm a hick in the woods who makes a lot of noise with my boomsticks and big ars knives and I'm okay with that. But every time Knob Creek, Blade, and the 1500 rolls around I just get all excited; the knives are cool, but it's really the people that I like going to see and talk to. From guns, knives, solving the worlds problems, and just shooting the sh** with each other, it's a freaking blast.

It's weird here (the good kind of weird ;) ). We see each other post stuff, sometimes it's informational and other times it's just kind of a WTF funny comment or something, but when we meet each other in person it's like we're long lost friends.

You dirty bast*** :grumpy: At least I have something I sniped from under your nose, or I'd be extra sore about the BK.

Gary, great to meet you and thank you for the giveaway. Alas, I already have enough sheaths for my NMSFNO so it should go to someone else. I just felt like posting.

18. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    My happiness is simple, but not cheap... the top three on my list

My daughter, My wife, and a knife... and every one of those has cost me an arm and a leg.

19. redbeardrob

redbeardrob

May 25, 2011
    This makes me happy... And I didn't find it, I made it! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jlrnky

jlrnky

Jan 20, 2012
    What makes me happy? Honestly what makes me happy is helping other people. Whether its helping a neighbor with something, helping my grandmother with her flower bed, or my father with something on the farm, or a complete stranger who didn't expect a random act of kindness. Theres just something about helping a person especially when they don't ask for the help but you go out of your way to help them anyway, kind of like an unspoken appreciation between the two of you.
    Theres a lot of things that can make a person happy when approaching life with a positive outlook and thats what i think is key in life. Instead of looking at the negative side always try to look at the positive.