Post Pics of your SOG Knives!

I am so sorry for wasting Ken's time and other's. I am seeking help from a Computer buddy. We will post pics. The number on the top of pomel 099. No one can help with that without a picture. I don't know why a forum for information. Can anyone tell me what that means.

I am so sorry for wasting Ken's time and other's. I am seeking help from a Computer buddy. We will post pics. The number on the top of pomel 099. No one can help with that without a picture. I don't know why a forum for information. Can anyone tell me what that means.
No problem, You have a SOG SBR-80 recon Bowie, one of the first 100 made I think in 2000-2002.
The same model I think numbered 002 on the pommel was sold here on BF some time ago.
The blade is blued SK5 carbon steel. Your knife is a reproduction of the very first series of knives ordered by Ben Baker for MACV-CISO from
Japan Sword for Studies and Observation Group operators in Vietnam. Your knife was manufactuered inthe Kinryu factory
in Seki Japan, which produced most of SOGs seki fixed blades. Production of your knife ended during 2006-2008 when SOG terminated
it's fixed blade contracts with both Kinryu and Hattori, and switched to Taiwan manufacture. You have a very nice collector piece.
Enjoy.

Thanks Ken. What I am trying to get all the information for all my knives because I am getting old. And I will make a list of all my folders all great makers. Because I am going to pass the torch. I want him to know what he has. Thanks again.

Thanks Ken. What I am trying to get all the information for all my knives because I am getting old. And I will make a list of all my folders all great makers. Because I am going to pass the torch. I want him to know what he has. Thanks again.
There are experts here on BF on just about every kind of knife. I am sure you can get all of your knives correctly identified.
But- photos are a must.

I am wanting to know what a SOG Brs-80 First run of so many. It is a Recon Bowie never used or sharped. On top of pomel is stamped 099. No one has figured that out. The letters of 80 may be wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_082918775.jpg
    IMG_20220608_082918775.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 9
Boy, it is a little dead around here!

Last weekend I took all my blades out and gave them a once over with some tuff cloth. I do this every month or so. While I had them all out together I took some family photos. Here are all my SOGs:

EDIT! This is a different photo than the original! I deleted the original in picasa but I hate threads without the intended photo! I added this one to make the thread more appealing right off the get go.
20140520_190854.jpg

Sorry. Didn't realize how bad the photo was until I went post it. yuck! Not pictured is the seki Pentagon I just picked up. It needs a little clean-up work, I'll post pics of it later with a comparison to the current Taiwanese version.

Anyway, let's see some sog pics!
Here's a rare one I have been told. It's for sell and killing me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_082918775.jpg
    IMG_20220608_082918775.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 5
Hey! I just got my first SOG. I figured I would drop by and share a few shots of it.

5XOLjE0.jpg

JqMQADq.jpg

I believe it's an older Tigershark. I do know that it's a beast though.

Last edited:
Hey! I just got my first SOG. I figured I would drop by and share a few shots of it.

I believe it's an older Tigershark. I do know that it's a beast though.
Very nice knife. Not the very earliest as those have Santa Monica CA under the logo on the sheath.
But it's still the unserrated early version, Unfortunately, I don't remember if the SK5 versions came in both satin and powder finishes.
If not, it would be Aus6. Either way a real collector piece now. Enjoy.

Very nice knife. Not the very earliest as those have Santa Monica CA under the logo on the sheath.
But it's still the unserrated early version, Unfortunately, I don't remember if the SK5 versions came in both satin and powder finishes.
Thank you! I haven't had a chance to research it much. Aside from being packed around strapped to the side of a pack or in an ATV saddle bag I don't think the edge has seen much use. The sheath definitely shows cuts where it's been drawn and fondled quite a bit..... I get it. It's quite the blade. The edge has a decent amount of rust on it from sitting in the leather sheath for so long. I know AUS6 can corrode, but that makes me lean towards the SK5. Aside from digging out some cold blue I haven't found a resource on visually identifying the differences in the powder coated models made from SK5 vs AUS6.

I have no plans of moving this on anytime soon so I will probably hit the edge with a strop to clean the rust off the edge. Otherwise, it looks like the edge hasn't been touched. My debate now is how much of a user I want it to be. I don't have many safe queens and the ones I have are backups to my discontinued Beckers.

Thank you! I haven't had a chance to research it much. Aside from being packed around strapped to the side of a pack or in an ATV saddle bag I don't think the edge has seen much use. The sheath definitely shows cuts where it's been drawn and fondled quite a bit..... I get it. It's quite the blade. The edge has a decent amount of rust on it from sitting in the leather sheath for so long. I know AUS6 can corrode, but that makes me lean towards the SK5. Aside from digging out some cold blue I haven't found a resource on visually identifying the differences in the powder coated models made from SK5 vs AUS6.
Yes, aus6 can rust but nothing like SK5. Hit it with some vinegar, mustard, or lemon. SK5 should show a reaction right away, aus6 not so much. Very nice knife BTW.

Last edited:

I have no plans of moving this on anytime soon so I will probably hit the edge with a strop to clean the rust off the edge. Otherwise, it looks like the edge hasn't been touched. My debate now is how much of a user I want it to be. I don't have many safe queens and the ones I have are backups to my discontinued Beckers.

Jerry, as craytab suggests, hit the edge with white vinegar. If it turms white, it's SK5. If it stays clear it's Aus6.
Normally I'd do this on the blade itself but the powder coating on that knife looks intact and perfect.
You can just wipe the vinegar off aferwards, amd you'll probably strop anyway.
Regardless of user or SQ, I think it would be nice to know exactly what you have.

Nice! Have wanted a satin Tigershark for a long time, but the prices are hard to justify.

Ken Hash on my Recon Bowie SOG. You identified my knife and told me what it was. Being older I can't remember the Srb or what is it before Recon Bowie. Also have you found what that number means on top of the pomel. 099. Thanks Ken Hash you are great man.

Just two at the moment. But a Twitch II is en route across the Atlantic as we speak.

As someone fairly new to the brand, I wonder if it is possible to put the model names with your pictures? Just gives me an idea of what Im looking at (and what to buy next;))
I have a nice Recon Bowie SOG. First run of the originals. Ken Hash identify for me. Year of run is 2000 also I am still waiting to find out about the stamp on top of the pomel 099.
No it is marked . SF Cal on the sheath. Perfect condition.

I have a nice Recon Bowie SOG. First run of the originals. Ken Hash identify for me. Year of run is 2000 also I am still waiting to find out about the stamp on top of the pomel 099.

If you're talking about the Horse head knife. It has it.

No problem, You have a SOG SBR-80 recon Bowie, one of the first 100 made I think in 2000-2002.
The same model I think numbered 002 on the pommel was sold here on BF some time ago.
The blade is blued SK5 carbon steel. Your knife is a reproduction of the very first series of knives ordered by Ben Baker for MACV-CISO from
Japan Sword for Studies and Observation Group operators in Vietnam. Your knife was manufactuered inthe Kinryu factory
in Seki Japan, which produced most of SOGs seki fixed blades. Production of your knife ended during 2006-2008 when SOG terminated
it's fixed blade contracts with both Kinryu and Hattori, and switched to Taiwan manufacture. You have a very nice collector piece.
Enjoy.
Thanks Ken. That was the best thing no one could better. Not putting anyone on here. It just seems to research you are sharp. Thanks Ken.

Ken was you talking to me about the Will & Finck Double edged Horse head knife reproduction. If so it does have SF Cal on sheath.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_083129216.jpg
    IMG_20220608_083129216.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220608_083049659.jpg
    IMG_20220608_083049659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220608_083033956.jpg
    IMG_20220608_083033956.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I know the pictures or bad for you. But on my end looks fine. Should I send pictures thumbnail or full view. I have tried both but looks the same. Information since it does have what you said wasn't there. Because of my terrible pictures. Sorry.

Back