Post Rescinded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all,

My name is Stephen, a newbie to Bladeforums; and I would like to contribute to the Fighting Bowie community. The following is a relation of my journey in researching Bagwellian battle blades; and contains my frank opinions.

Earlier this year, I stumbled across Robin Brown’s (“Brownie”) Youtube video on Panther Concealment’s sheath system w/Bill Bagwell’s custom Bowie. At first, I was only interested in the sheath, but after further investigation into Bagwell Bowies, I realized I knew very little about the uniqueness of the Bowie. A new world was opened to me, and I started digging into the wealth of info available on the subject. I soon got Bagwell’s out-of-print book “The Bowie, Big Knives, and the Best of Battle Blades”, a volume of old articles from the Soldier of Fortune magazine. Most of the info therein is still relevant today.

After reading through Bagwell’s book, I wanted to get in touch with the man himself; so I could get a blade made for me. However, I was unable to reach him through the number on River City Sheath's website and later found out that he’s no longer as active as he used to be due to age and sickness.

Bill’s method of knife making is unlike any other high-end knifemaker’s methods; in that Bill tempers his blades primarily for the rages of close combat. In the 21st century, this is still relevant as you would want a long blade that could take a hit from a crowbar or bat/club, and not be damaged. 21st century fencers should be warned that most custom ABS blades are for wealthy collectors who like pretty toys that could cut down water bottles and apples. If you want an expensive art piece, knock yourself out (don't cut yourself).

Newbies who’ve never owned a Bagwell-forged Bowie are in luck, as Bill was gracious enough to entrust his techniques to Greg Covington in Ohio. Greg’s work is the closest in quality to a Bagwell blade you can find. Depending on what you want, Greg’s costs may range from $900-2000+. My Sifu once told me, “…Always go for the best…” Folks, Greg is the best we’ve got for a BATTLE blade right now. Your wallet may cry, but hopefully, you won’t be crying in a life-deathly you so i wont pass and dispersions situation (if you’ve got the right tool and the right skills).

Greg made me a big Cable Damascus blade tailored to my physical characteristics within a month’s time (though he gave a few month’s estimate turnaround time). It was hard work, but he was gracious enough to dedicate himself to my project. If you’re a serious bladesman, contact Greg on his Facebook page “Covington Edged Weaponry”.

If this information is somewhat "over your head", I recommend looking up Birth of a Bagwell Bowie Knife on Youtube, along with its related shorter clips (download those videos before they are taken down!).

Greg

I’m sorry this did not work out the way you perceived it would but it is what it is

I do not know you and I’m sorry if this has offended you and in my initial post I said that you make a nice knife if thats any conciliation

But the way I read the OP’s post was that Bill was one foot in the grave and you were the air-apparent to Billy’s style of blades

Well I know Bill and he is still making knives and taking orders the same as he always has

So my question is when you initially posted why did you not say as much ?

From the OP’s post I was concerned and confused enough that I called him to relay what I read here and to ask what was up

I’m sorry I did not reach out to you first but I don’t know you....... I know Bagwell so I figured I’d get it from the horses mouth.

Someone has told Mr Pham things that Bill has taken exception too and basically said Bill was closed for business

Bill might be getting older but he’s still making knives and taking orders and has bills like the rest of us to pay

So as his friend I want that to be known

Last edited:
Joe,

It truly "is what it is" but it has little to do with my perception. I'm simply telling the truth. You have to appreciate that all this was nearly 20 years ago.

I've not had contact with Bill for many years now. The last I had heard was that he had slowed down a bit but was still making blades. I have not told anyone either way because I just did not know.

I agree that the OP made a bold post. He's enthusiastic and a good guy. I just this morning thoroughly reviewed all my emails with him to see if anything I said could have been misconstrued or taken out of context....both in regards to Bill's current activity, methods, or the "legacy" notion. The only remark I had made was when asked about the combat temper is that I do some of it, but not exactly as Bill told me.

The OP had done his research within the knife fighting community (I think) and had spoken to several well known people. That is how he was referred to me.

Unfortunately, things out there on the internet and other closed circles somehow become "fact" when they are kicked around out there long enough. I've seen the "legacy", "heir apparent", "student", and other references made. I also know a few people who have propagated that story....some are still around, some aren't I've done my best to dispel that....as you can see from my first post. I simply tell people that I was advantaged help, tips, and advice from Bill....at mentorship so to speak. Those things I am grateful for and much of it will never escape what I do now.

Last edited:
On second thought, I'm staying out of this nonsense. Way too confusing.

Last edited:
exactly right Jim !

I'm saddened that we seem to see more of this on the various forums - the hit and run, bomb dropping troll...

I don't know if it is society's generalized loss of courtesy, the increasing tendency toward polarized confrontation or the attention seeking of our "selfie world"....

but I wish folks would do more thinking before writing,posting, talking etc.

Thanks to the wiser heads for their contributions.

Bill

Joe,

It truly "is what it is" but it has little to do with my perception. I'm simply telling the truth. You have to appreciate that all this was nearly 20 years ago.

I've not had contact with Bill for many years now. The last I had heard was that he had slowed down a bit but was still making blades. I have not told anyone either way because I just did not know.

I agree that the OP made a bold post. He's enthusiastic and a good guy. I just this morning thoroughly reviewed all my emails with him to see if anything I said could have been misconstrued or taken out of context....both in regards to Bill's current activity, methods, or the "legacy" notion. The only remark I had made was when asked about the combat temper is that I do some of it, but not exactly as Bill told me.

The OP had done his research within the knife fighting community (I think) and had spoken to several well known people. That is how he was referred to me.

Unfortunately, things out there on the internet and other closed circles somehow become "fact" when they are kicked around out there long enough. I've seen the "legacy", "heir apparent", "student", and other references made. I also know a few people who have propagated that story....some are still around, some aren't I've done my best to dispel that....as you can see from my first post. I simply tell people that I was advantaged help, tips, and advice from Bill....at mentorship so to speak. Those things I am grateful for and much of it will never escape what I do now.

Greg

again my only intent here is to relay Bill’s comments and make sure that people know Bagwell is not half dead and still making knives

as for Mr Pham

I was the first to say to people to excuse his exuberance but I will say this

he is/was your client and someone (according to you) not you must have told him all this stuff that is not true but in your time discussing Bagwell style blades, etc none of the above mentioned came up ......but if it would you would have quickly told him Bagwell was still making blades (he did not seem to know this) and dispel all that was mentioned ?

I guess we are all good than and it’s Pham’s delusions and the internet that got us here

BTW

Pham is not gone

he reached out to Bagwell soon after this thread was started and once he realized Bill was still making knives to order one which apparently no one that ever talked to him told him ...

Knowing Billy and the hornets nest Pham just kicked he probable will be waiting a bit for that knife

I still don’t think this is Pham’s fault

he was excited about something

so his research lead him not to the source (he did mention Bagwell and his Book) but to people that gave him the info that they wanted to give him

well shame on those parties for picking the bones of a Knife maker before he is even dead

I’ve spent decades helping and promoting knife-makers and Bagwell is my friend so I just want everyone to know if you want a real Bagwell call him .....he will answer the phone and it ain’t his ghost. Part of the expierence of buying a Bagwell is Bagwell the same as it was with Hartsfield and many other pioneering interesting characters that we have been blessed with in the knife world

I want everyone to understand I have no issues with homage pieces and Mirabile and I did one a few years ago were I reached out to a Jimmy Fikes for his blessing. David would not touch the project with out it

Greg I wish you continued success and like I said you make a very nice knife

I’m pretty much done with this thread so I hope everyone has a nice holiday and stay safe

if anyone wants Bagwell’s contact PM me

Last edited:
Thank YOU, JParanee JParanee !

There is a LOT of honesty in this thread. Yours, as always. :thumbsup:

Despite some drama, we have learned a lot of info also. Cool.

Where's my hornet spray....? :eek::p

Hi. Welcome to bladeforums. Congrats on your new blade. We love pics if you've got any to share.

I'm curious if you wouldn't mind elaborating on this part of your post that I quoted? How is the tempering of the blade different than what one might see in other ABS style blades? Thanks.

People get sold on the "sizzle" before they buy the steak

Mr Pham has removed his opening post and re-titled the thread to indicate he has rescinded it (rather than attempting to "fix" answer the issues in question).

Since he is a new member, he may not realize that the post, in it's entirety, remains completely visible in other members' quotations.

Mr Pham has removed his opening post and re-titled the thread to indicate he has rescinded it (rather than attempting to "fix" answer the issues in question).

Since he is a new member, he may not realize that the post, in it's entirety, remains completely visible in other members' quotations.

I would like to apologize to all for any trouble and confusion I have caused in this forum due to limited knowledge and the strong statements made.

Ok enough is enough, if one of the other moderators wants to reopen it that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back