Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

two_siltarp2.jpg

exped_ul_platy_mp1_sealant.jpg

Osprey Exos 58. 12L more capacity, and only 3oz. heavier than my Exos 46.
Pretty much the exact same pack, just needed room for a trip with both cold weather gear and more food.
It'll probably only get used a couple times per year, so it should last forever...
imgp6195o.jpg

I've only gotten to use it twice in the four weeks I've had it, but am loving my other "new gear", the Manta 25.

Replacing some of my smaller gear items that are heavily used, and dropping some pack weight at the same time.

Sawyer Squeeze Filter.
imgp6211ob.jpg

With the stuff I'll actually carry-a small funnel to fill the bag using the cup I boil water in, a Platypus 1L replacing the less durable factory bags(edit: the Platys DO NOT SEAL on the Sawyer's inlet side-trying the new Evernew ones next), and a "water tornado" adapter for filling Platys and backflushing the filter, negating the need for the syringe:
imgp6212.jpg

imgp6214.jpg

For backpacking, this replaces my ~15yr old PUR Voyageur(now using Katadyn Hiker filters).
imgp6213.jpg

The PUR in its stuff sack weighs about 17.5oz. I usually carry a 3.5oz Sea to Summit collapsible bucket with it in case I'm gathering water from a trickle, need to let silty water settle, or whatever other thing makes using the filter a pain. 21oz total vs. 4.73 = -16.27oz:cool:

For water crossings and camp shoes, I was using my old Merrell Manistee water shoes that weigh 11oz each.
I replaced them with O'Neill Reactor Reef boots:
imgp6216j.jpg

They are listed at 6oz/per, but came in at less than that:
imgp6217.jpg

22-10.4...another 11.6oz off the pack weight.

With a 12oz frogg toggs ultralight rainsuit(tried one on, waiting to get a different color) halving my raingear's weight, I'm knocking right at 40oz off my pack for ~$120 total. My cold weather bag, and heaviest piece of gear, weighs 40oz!
I swore I'd never be a gram weenie, but this is kind of fun:rolleyes:

Last edited:
2.5lbs, Nice! :thumbup: I'm working to cut backpacking weight myself. I'm down to 22lbs baseweight. If I can get under 20lbs for this upcomping Sierra trip and others this year, I'll be content for little bit. For the Sierra trip in particular, I'm thinking about dropping filter (Katadyn Hiker Pro) in favor of Micropur MP1 tabs, drop 3L camelbak for 2L Platypus (I also have 1L canteen on my belt), drop tent (Tarptent Moment) for Tarp (ID Siltarp 2), and try to cut more "just in case" stuff and any excess packaging/bagging.

It was nice when I realized that much weight could be dropped from my "little stuff".
There's a couple other things to replace that will save about 12 more ounces, but after that it gets more expensive.
Going ahead and figuring the other new items in, my pack weight will be ~27lb total at the start of my CO trip, including cold weather gear, 7lb of food, and 2L of water.
It doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but I've been thinking about spending some extra money to drop it another couple of pounds. If the elevation doesn't screw with me too much, I may be taking that loop from 38.6 miles up to 60+ after a detour and a couple of side trips. Some of the extras do not fall under "easy miles", either! I don't have to do all that, but I sure would like to, if I'm able.

Dang, 27lbs total weight with cold weather is great :thumbup:

If you can get lighter and haven't hit your point-of-diminishing-returns threshold, definitely go for it :thumbup:

Nuff drift from me, back to the regularly scheduled gear ogling :D

got a new running pack, Black Diamond Fuse- nice and light at 7.6 oz, carries well, roomy hip belt pockets- bottle holsters are fair, probably the only thing I'd change on the pack

BDFlashpack.jpg

holds a fair bit of kit for it's small size

fusecontents.jpg

new gaiters too- Outdoor Research Ultra Trails, they stay put (velcro system at the heel, hooks in the front), can snug them at the top and are pretty light @ 2.6 oz

ORgaiters.jpg

I got a new pair of trail runners- Montrail Mountain Masochists, but sadly had to send them back- not enough room in the toe box, so ordered another pair of Sabino Trails- this is pair number 3 :D

sabinos.jpg

003.jpg
I finally got my custom kydex pants for my mora. Here it is with my Vic. Safari Pathfinder w/ niteize clip. My new favorite hiking duo!

Picked up a Coleman Evanston 6-person Screened Tent so the wife and I can start out doing a lil camping

resource.ashx?guid=dd8c63c9f6274cf3b56cb08c9826e798&x=.jpg

Also picked up this sweet little 3.25" fixed blade from Blindhogg in the makers sale section

DSC_3812 by thestemens16, on Flickr

View attachment 285988
I finally got my custom kydex pants for my mora. Here it is with my Vic. Safari Pathfinder w/ niteize clip. My new favorite hiking duo!

Nice. I need to give my Pathfinder more pocket time. Which niteize you using? I've not looked at them, but struggled to find something suitable for that chunky hole.

EDIT: Nevermind....some Google-Fu led me to your Pathfinder/eCLIPse thread.

Last edited:
Nice. I need to give my Pathfinder more pocket time. Which niteize you using? I've not looked at them, but struggled to find something suitable for that chunky hole.

EDIT: Nevermind....some Google-Fu led me to your Pathfinder/eCLIPse thread.

Give it some love :)

svord kiwi machete...i'm perfectly happy with my esee lite machete and ontario 12" but man, i just can't resist another one.

svord_kiwi_machete_01.jpg

6-pack victorinox tweezers - my ocd almost made me throw out my one-hand trekker when i lost the tweezer months ago :eek:

sak_tweezers_071212.jpg

fallkniven s1...i like it a lot more than the f1 - larger handle and the lanyard hole is not touching my pinky finger.

new_fallkniven_s1.jpg

mora robust.

mora_robust.jpg

dmt 8"x3" extra-extra coarse and extra-coarse stones.

dmt_xxc_xc_stones.jpg

Back