Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

U.S. Army M1938 lensatic compass. Later model which is induction damped (white bowl) from Superior Magneto.

M1938%2520Compass%2520Top.jpg

M1938%2520Compass%2520Bottom.jpg

M1938%2520Compass%2520Open.jpg

Wittnauer USAAC/USAAF survival kit pocket compass from 1941. I recently bought this from the Salvation Army. My wife confiscated it. I won't see it again until Christmas. Didn't even get a chance to clean it up. I was lucky to just get the pics.

Wittnauer%2520Compass%2520Closed.jpg

Wittnauer%2520Compass%2520Open.jpg

Last edited:
canada goose langford (for street) and expedition (for the woods)...the expedition i like all the pockets to stash my stuff in but it might be too hardcore for my environment (not to mention it's crazy heavy) :eek:

if we don't get hit with another polar vortex soon i might have to exchange it for another langford or a patagonia frozen range parka (specs states it's waterproof not just resistant)...anyone have experience with that patagonia? i know they also have the grade vii (packed to the max with down) but my hi-loft's dwr let me down last winter and needed a hard shell over it to keep the rain off (and i want a more durable fabric resistant to brushing against shrubs and stuff) so i'm wanting a more waterproof fabric to begin with.

canada_goose_expedition_langford_zps7odqqmyw.jpg

No need for a sleeping bag w that lol one of these days I'll get one. Perfect tree stand coat

Reactions: JV3
No need for a sleeping bag w that lol one of these days I'll get one. Perfect tree stand coat

pair it up with an insulated pants and boots and you'll be set!

i'm a very loyal patagonia fan so it saddens me to say there really isn't anything they have that's comparable to canada goose's expedition (will test their frozen range parka vs. cg's langford eventually though)...patagonia's high-end high-loft down parkas is purely designed for mountain climbers...nothing really for us woods bums that require withstanding the brush against the occasional thorn bushes or branches and stuff.

kifaru sawtooth with liner, poles and pegs.

kifaru_sawtooth_liner_zpswrpclr0f.jpg

kifaru medium box stove.

kifaru_med_box_stove_zps0ijj8k3o.jpg

exped downmat xp 9 lw.

exped_downmat_xp_9_zpsudbdubaz.jpg

it was 2+ years ago that i switched to a hammock setup and sold my supertarp. this no snow/always raining weather made me miss how a stove minimizes wood used to keep it going.

Last edited:
All of my latest gear is climbing related and power tools... lol. A nice pair of 2019 Petzl Nomics on Black Friday, some fleece garments (Power Stretch Pro) , Milwakee battery drill and impact... nothing I could relate to this thread!

Mikel

I've been hitting up all the local pawnshops, thrift stops, and local auctions for smalls to fill out kits. Binos, stoves, saws, multi-tools, cookware and so on. About $100 so far, but so much good, quality gear on the cheap.

Most of my new gear has been photography related in the last couple of months. The last hiking item I purchased was a small compass to keep in my usual carry bag/pack on hikes just in case and I leave the larger compasses at home. I mostly need a nudge or confirmation on my directions and this provides that. I really like the National Geographic topo maps that are available for the areas I tromp since they have the trails marked. I view them as kind of expensive, but they last.

In keeping with my buy quality gear on the cheap theme; like-new 16oz stainless steel mug thrift store find from a few days ago. .50 cents; I added the paracord wrap.

Cuisinart.jpg

The thumb print is mine, too...

I just received two pairs of gloves from CAMP. Geko Ice (second pair, first one is just aweeeeeeesome but was showing signs of wear) and the evolution CAMP Geko Ice Pro, thinner and with better dexterity. Both are meant for ice climbing with dexterity and no-slip between layers in mind, as it gets you pumped fast when holding for life from your ice tools!

Mikel

Back