Post up your Snake Pics!

Those hognose videos are great. Thanks.

Can anyone explain how the "spaz out and pretend to die" behavior would protect it from predators? Why wouldn't a hungry coyote or whatever just snap the thing up while it was doing it's dance?

Most predators won't eat carrion (dead stuff). Many animals that die randomly are diseased and avoiding them is in the best interest of many predators. The hognose also emits a foul odor from the mouth and defecates on itself to increase its lack of appeal as a snack.

I just got an eastern hognose! I know they are common where a lot of you guys go but they are VERY hard to find here. He showed all the classic defensive behaviors... hooded like a cobra, spasms, played dead.

hognosepose4.jpg

hognosepose1.jpg

hognoseheadon.jpg

hognoseplaydead.jpg

This is the snake hissing loudly and throwing a hood to posture at us.

[youtube]nl_RwQLmP6Y[/youtube]

This is the fake death spasms. Voice in foreground is a volunteer that had never seen a hognose before

[youtube]ryDr6HkasRY[/youtube]

This is my favorite vid. He plays dead and refuses to let me flip him right side up.

[youtube]JqjW4VM1xdE[/youtube]

haha. awesome videos!

Those hognose videos are great. Thanks.

Can anyone explain how the "spaz out and pretend to die" behavior would protect it from predators? Why wouldn't a hungry coyote or whatever just snap the thing up while it was doing it's dance?

The predator may think it is sick, and believe it best not to eat for fear of getting whatever sickness...

Back