Post your Becker knives pics here

Paul just goes around posting one LONG paragraph to any thread he wants.
Normally it is a necro thread from 3+ years ago, and has been warned for it, but that is Paul for ya...
Becker content :

Paul just goes around posting one LONG paragraph to any thread he wants.
Normally it is a necro thread from 3+ years ago, and has been warned for it, but that is Paul for ya...
Becker content :

Love that!!!

8f2ab329a96c57002a0d1662c758a6a3.jpg
3f2398b8d6bc69cb99c56b8c3e50bad1.jpg

Yep that looks great. Are the pins attaching the wood scales strong? Are they glued too?

Looks to be 3/16 brass?
I would think that the wood would be chipped and busted up before the pins give, especially if a quality epoxy was used (g-flex, acraglass, et al).
One major bonus to a softer alloy like that is the toughness and plasticity of it. It won't shear as easily as a high hardness alloy.
------
GSoM, I am curious as to watch was used to make the pinch points up front?
1" drill bit for material removal and sandpaper, Half-round lathe bit, or just sand paper and a lot of elbow grease?
Turned out great!

Yep that looks great. Are the pins attaching the wood scales strong? Are they glued too?
The idea of the pins is really to prevent shear forces from knocking the scales off. The only "pins" that work to hold them tight to the tang would be bolts (regular, Loveless or Corby) and cutler's rivets (to a much lesser degree) - as long as we're talking about full tang, two piece scales. Obviously, pins work differently for hidden tangs. So yeah....those scales are epoxied on, pins epoxied in their holes as well.
Looks to be 3/16 brass?
I would think that the wood would be chipped and busted up before the pins give, especially if a quality epoxy was used (g-flex, acraglass, et al).
One major bonus to a softer alloy like that is the toughness and plasticity of it. It won't shear as easily as a high hardness alloy.
------
GSoM, I am curious as to watch was used to make the pinch points up front?
1" drill bit for material removal and sandpaper, Half-round lathe bit, or just sand paper and a lot of elbow grease?
Turned out great!
Dingdingding! 3/16 fits right into the existing bolt holes - hardened 1095CV is not even worth trying to drill out.
As for the indents for close work, they were shaped pre-epoxy with a drum sander mounted in the drill press and then hand sanded. Might've used some rasps in there, too - I really don't remember. The little butt cutouts for the lanyard slot were difficult, tho. That wood is katalox - which is about the same density as ebony - it's hard.

Looks like a great piece. I will be doing something similar to my 15 soon (I hope).

Next time get yourself a two or three axis vise for your drill press. You can mount the scales in that and use the drill press with a sanding drum and maneuver the wood or steel, brass, or any other material around more accurately without the jumping or running out.

Another added bonus is that you can work slower to keep your chuck from getting beat up from the lateral load.

Back