Post Your Sears Craftsman Knives

I have quite a few Craftsman Sears knives so i will start out with a few 5 inch lockbacks with a Buck 110.

sta-sharp_cattle_f1.JPG

sta-sharp_cattle_b1.JPG

Not sure how old this knife is. It's a junior cattle knife at 3 3/8" closed. Likely Camillus made.

SEARS U.S.A. 95235 jack knife, that my Granny gave me years ago. :)

Nice looking jack there Stormdrane and a good picture. Are those bone or delrin handles?

And Calvin, that is some tasty looking bone on that Schrade Walden 293. :thumbup:

Nice looking jack there Stormdrane and a good picture. Are those bone or delrin handles?

I can't really tell if the jigged handles are delrin or bone, although I suspect delrin with how smooth they look. It's hard for me to feel texture with the peripheral neuropathy(diabetic) in my fingertips. Is there a way to check without damaging the handles? :)

Last edited:
I'll attempt to look these up in my Sears catalogues when I get home. Sometimes I get lucky.

SEARS U.S.A. 95235 jack knife, that my Granny gave me years ago. :)

SEARS U.S.A. 95235 Jack Knife by David Hopper (Stormdrane), on Flickr
Stormdrane, your knife was sold in the early to mid 1970's. It was a part of Sears Bi-centennial series as the American Eagle shield suggests. And of course the covers are Delrin. A very nice knife as a user even if it weren't a special keepsake!

sta-sharp_cattle_f1.JPG

sta-sharp_cattle_b1.JPG

Not sure how old this knife is. It's a junior cattle knife at 3 3/8" closed. Likely Camillus made.

Camillus, yes. As the tang marking shows, High Carbon U.S.A. Note that it is co-branded with Craftsman and Sta-Sharp too. Baer pretty well knocked Camillus out as a supplier to Sears when he left Camillus and took the Sears accounts with him in the winter/spring 1940-41. For several years his Ulster was the major Sears supplier and he had exclusive use of the Craftsman mark on pocket cutlery until just after the end of the war when Camillus was allowed to use it as a cobranding with it's Sta-Sharp mark. While I can't find my catalog pages from 1939-1950 (another move), an educated guess for this knife is 1946-1949. And it appears to be an excellent survivor!

Stormdrane, your knife was sold in the early to mid 1970's. It was a part of Sears Bi-centennial series as the American Eagle shield suggests. And of course the covers are Delrin. A very nice knife as a user even if it weren't a special keepsake!

Thank you, Sir! :) :thumbup:

A couple of new purchases. Craftsman 9555 camper/utility knife and a 9561 electricians knife.

A quote from Codger on the show thread;
"A Sears Craftsman #9555 "Schrade Walden Saw Knife", a camp utility knife with a fifth blade, a saw added, made for and shipped to Sears in 1967! I love these things! Rare? Mmmm... that word does tend to get overused. They are pretty uncommon finds today. I have two of them."

"Keep your eyes open for a Sears Craftsman #9561, another Schrade Walden, but an electrician pattern. It has the same saw blade added and makes for a very thick knife with three springs in the spring pack instead of the normal two and the extra brass liner, total of four. In fact, when measured across the butt not including the shackle, it is 3/4" wide."

"Schrade Walden production records listed the #9555 as the "SW SAW KNIFE" first in 1967. The master blade has the Craftsman "crown" logo (matching the coined shield) and the number 9555. Mine came with a light tan leather pouch style sheath with "crown" Craftsman logo embossed on the flap. They were only sold for a year or so and in limited quantities. IIRC, a thousand or less were shipped. Nice find!"

ETA: "I believe it is indeed built on the Ulster utility knife frame. But at this point Schrade Walden and Ulster were pretty much one and the same."
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1241190-Old-craftsman-knife

Craftsman 9555
2wekold.jpg
[/IMG]
5d2q6x.jpg
[/IMG]
8x7iag.jpg
[/IMG]

Craftsman 9561
hwflzn.jpg

k4hxkg.jpg

2s8fihf.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice pair of gets! If you decide to put them to work I think you will find that saw design to be very aggressive and it cuts better than any saw blade or back I have ever had attached to a knife. If I were still doing drywall I would be tempted to give it a try!

Recently picked this one up and haven't seen it before. It is stamped Schrade, Walden. N.Y., U.S.A. on one side and 849, Stainless on the other. It is a 2 3/4 inch stainless lobster with a blade etch "Craftsman 9490 Custom Made". Nice little gents knife, don't know much about it except the 849 model was made from 1957-59.

Miles

Attachments

• Schrade2_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    Schrade2_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Schrade4_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    Schrade4_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Schrade5_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    Schrade5_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Schrade7_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    Schrade7_849_Executive_Lobster_Craftsman_9490.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here is a pair of Craftsman stockmen, a large #95066 and a medium #95068, both with the brass shield and bolsters. They appear to me to have Swindon key construction, so probably Schrade made. Dating in my notes says 1975-'83.

CraftsmenClosed_zps2a780fe9.jpg~original

CraftsmenOpen_zps8454d1df.jpg~original

Jeff, those are certainly Baers, alright (meaning Schrade/Camillus/Imperial). The smaller one would be the same essentially as the 897UH or the 825 openstock. The larger one appears to have a Camillus or Imperial master clip blade rather than a "Schrade." Those three companies provided a mashup of employees, parts and buildings that can defy exact analysis. Good show! Nice photographs of nice knives. You may have a pm from me that is now some several days old.

Back