Post your Spyder Pics

I was able to capture a picture of some of my worker knives in their native habitat.

file.jpg

My first post here even though I probably read them all. :)Here my last acquisition
SpydercoZulu-2_zpsc677dd04.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot, it is nice to see a photo show the detail of that grind, it really is a beautiful knife. I am glad I picked that one up before it is gone.

The latest addition to my growing fiber collection:
P1050075_zps314df43c.png

With the Nishijin cousin:
P1050080_zpse105009b.png

This is my Spydie collection so far with the small cut I just got while trying to take this picture. I was trying to open the Byrd Wings and it slipped out of my hand, and landed on my knuckle somehow.
Anyway, this is what I have so far, and I have two Urbans on the way. From top to bottom, they are:
Byrd Wings (it's technically a Spydie)
VG-10 Endura 4 (I was surprised by how much heavier this one is than the ZDP Endura)
ZDP-189 Endura 4
VG-10 Delica 4
Leaf grey FRN UK Pen Knife
Ambitious
2013-01-30%2021.35.20.jpg

Last edited:
This is my Spydie collection so far with the small cut I just got while trying to take this picture. I was trying to open the Byrd Wings and it slipped out of my hand, and landed on my knuckle somehow.
Anyway, this is what I have so far, and I have two Urbans on the way. From top to bottom, they are:
Byrd Wings (it's technically a Spydie)
VG-10 Endura 4 (I was surprised by how much heavier this one is than the ZDP Endura)
ZDP-189 Endura 4
VG-10 Delica 4
Leaf grey FRN UK Pen Knife
Ambitious
v5KdxlJ1WlPm89JtvzsLAZJmm4vq8pwvuzfB2tg7N2w

Am I the only one that can't see the pics?

Just got my Gayle Bradley! Here are some comparison shots and initial impressions.

Size and Weight

It's smaller than I expected. It's still a fairly large knife, but I was expecting it to be bigger. I'm not complaining though, I think it's a good size. The handle is a good length, and offers a good grip, but it's a little on the thick side for my hands. If you like the thickness of the Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper, you'll like this knife, because their handles are very nearly the same thickness.

The knife has a big rear end. I wish it tapered down a bit more.

The blade stock is slightly thinner than I expected as well. It's slightly thinner than the blade on my Large Sebenza, and about 3/4 the width of the Southard's blade. I prefer the blade shape and blade thickness on this knife over that of the Southard Flipper. The tip of the blade is thinner than either the Southard or the Sebenza, but not quite as delicate feeling as the blade on the PM2. I haven't tried yet, but it looks like this knife will be excellent for wood carving, and fine detail work. You can choke up on the blade fairly well too, something you can't (safely) do on a Sebenza.

I don't know the exact weight, but the knife feels heavier in my pocket than my Sebenza, Southard, PM2, or even the Spyderco Military.

Construction

The Fit & Finish on the knife is excellent; it's nearly in the same league as the Spyderco Southard Flipper, at nearly about half the cost.

The Carbon Fiber is excellent. I could be wrong, but it looks and feels identical to the CF on my Sage 1. It's still not my favorite handle material; I prefer the robustness of Titanium, and the grip of G10, but it sure looks nice.

Other Thoughts

The knife deploys really well. It's not super smooth but it's good enough. Lockup is good, but not as solid as the Southard let alone the Sebenza.

Disengaging the lock sucks. I'm sorry, but it does. The liner is recessed, and I find it's hard to access. I've read a lot of comments on this, and it seems like quite a few people agree. Some have even modded their liners to make the liner lock easier to access. Disengaging the lock with my winter gloves on is even worse; it's just barely doable.

In the end, this probably won't replace my Sebenza as my favorite EDC knife, but it's still an excellent, well-made knife, and, at it's prize, probably one of the best values of all my Spyderco knives.

Nice review, I love my GBs, and never noticed, but you are right, the liner lock is tougher than almost all of my other knives, the tenacious sitting right next to it in my desk is a much better liner lock IMO. Ignorance was bliss, now I am annoyed with the lock on the GB, what an oversight :/. The GB is still one of my favs in my EDC rotation, love the blade steel too, holds an edge forever, although using my Wicked Edge to sharpen it takes forever too :D. And yep, same scales as Sage 2 I think as well, at least on mine the weaves and texture match, which happen to be my fav EDC texture because you have *some* grip vs. polished, and which one is purdier is subjective, I like the GB/Sage way better than say the Lum CF myself, function over form is more important to me... for EDCs anyway.

Last edited:
The hard-to-get-to lock on the GB isn't helped by the thick liner with a shallow cutout. Makes it harder to bend. Compare it with the cutouts on other linerlocks and you'll notice a difference. You'll notice an even bigger difference when compared to framelocks.

Thanks for the comments I really want to pick up a Zulu and Calypso Sprint. I'm broke though.

The Caly decided it wanted a quick photo-shoot with it's friend:
SebCaly_zps0e06846f.jpg

SebCaly2_zpsd59ef758.jpg

My love and appreciation for this fine knife grows daily(like with my Sebenza) and it makes a fine cutter. Great little EDC and just feels, looks, and goes perfectly with my Large Sebenza.

Thanks for the comments I really want to pick up a Zulu and Calypso Sprint. I'm broke though.

That sucks that you are broke, I am very glad I picked it up. It was hard for me to not pick it up, $90 for sculpted G10, S30V, and Spyderco's quality, and knowing if I didn't get one now it would be very hard to get one later.

Back