• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Posting Etiquette in Individual Sales/Trade Forum?

I've been wondering about this for a while now so here's my rant: I think those who post in the Individual Sale/Trade Forum should try to consolidate their posts in order to make it easier to use that forum effectively. I know I post regulary as well as many others and I'm wondering what others think. When someone sells five or six knives, is there any reason they can't be in one post? Seems to me it would make things a lot simpler for everyone involved and save a lot of BTTT's, as well as give more exposure to the ads. Let's have some opinions guys.

Jake . . . I see your point, but have a different approach. I don't sell that many knives, but when I do sell one, I like to keep detailed records of each transaction. Makes it simpler for me to post only one knife in each ad. By doing this, I am able to keep track of what is going where and also deep detailed email logs of each transaction. Helps me stay organized . . . YMMV.
smile.gif

------------------
ralph

I agree with Jake.

------------------
"I fought the law and the law won".

I agree too, BUT, the other night I had a few knives with a lot of pictures to post. I was typing descriptions and picture links for 45 minutes and just as I was typing the last link my aol shutdown.
mad.gif
I was not going to take that chance again so I did it one at a time. Normally and in the future I think it is easier to put it all in one.

------------------
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children, and I will stike down upon the with great vengance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengance upon the.

Ezekiel 25:17

I have to agree w/ Jake. In the past couple of weeks I have put a couple of items up FS/FT and in a 24 hr period its OFF the first page, a couple of days later it goes back to page 3.
frown.gif

The folks who have been buying/trading for a while NEVER bother posting on the thread -> that wastes valuable time on a great deal item.
wink.gif
Typically if you get too many BTTT, or folks posting off topic it may make some one believe the item has been sold and they won't bother looking at the thread again. Who would thing that an item with 10 posts the item is still available?
rolleyes.gif

Typically LOWERING the price make the item move FASTER.
wink.gif

Typically if you really want TOP $ for your item go sell it on E-bay.
biggrin.gif

A little common courtesy goes a long way.
smile.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

I also agree with Jake, and I'm
mad.gif
!!!

I have see TOO MANY instances where one person (a DEALER???) has posted 5, 6 or even 7 seperate posts (in a row), that listed only ONE (1) knife in EACH post for sale.
mad.gif

That quickly moved my ONE (WTT:...) post to the next page, or at least down towards the bottom of the pile.
frown.gif

I think that is RUDE, as it "forces" me to use the "BTP1" or "BTTT" or "^" crap, so that my ONE ad can be noticed.
frown.gif

Ok...Rant mode is off. I now return YOU to your regularly scheduled program.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

[This message has been edited by glockman99 (edited 11-30-2000).]

I agree with Jake. I just posted something and got a couple of responses that weren't from people wanting to buy, just to comment on the knife. When it was at the bottom of page 2 the next day I did a "^" to get it up
smile.gif
Then it shot down again so I just created a new listing to avoid the BTTT with 5 replies. Of course, creating a new listing ain't helping either, but with them flying down so fast I got greedy!!!
wink.gif

Maybe it's high time we request a separate forum for auto vs folder? Maybe even fixed and folded?

And then make them bastids post all their bloody knives in one post!
biggrin.gif

Brandon

------------------
Quis ut Deus

I can see your point also Jake, and I agree with you to a point. That point being... if you post your knives with pictures, you will have a very slow loading thread with five, or six pic's.

Which brings me to my pet peeve. I would like to see more people posting pic's on their posts. It is so much nicer if you can see a pic of the knife that is up for sale. You got me started now!
biggrin.gif

Another thing that gets me going is that a lot of people don't edit their threads when they sell something. Just go back in, and put sold! It's not that hard. Lets also limit the BTTT... I'm guilty of this also, but I'm trying to just limiting it to three times. I also I don't do it until i'm off the front page. You have to give the guys that just posted a chance also.

See what you did Jake!
biggrin.gif
Have a good one all!

<center>
wreath_merrychristmas_lg_clr.gif
</center>

------------------
us_marine_corps_md_clr.gif
BC... For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know... Semper Fi

[This message has been edited by narruc1 (edited 11-30-2000).]

during the discusion of not posting items individually we have brought up several reasons why i like to list items individually.

*the point about many responses to a post is worth noting because the more knives you have to sell in on post, the more responses their will be. single post, potentially fewer responses.

*if you leave your 'cookies' active you can easily see which posts you have viewed and the ones you have not, regardless of the page number.

*btt usually = asking too much $$. it is sad and time consuming to watch an individual lower his price from retail all the way down to a normal discount price and then get mad at us, the buyers, for not buying his knife!?

*additionally, many posts get btt because someone posts 'just sent you an e-mail' what's up with that post? i check my mail am and pm, i'll get your mail.

*asking questions or for more info within the post blasts it back to the top also. qeustions and offers e-mailed would get much quicker response from me. sometimes i never go back to a post unless i mark it sold.

I've done quite a bit of buying & selling here on BF & I have used both methods -- multiple knives in one post & individual posts per knife -- and really haven't noticed a tangible advantage from the seller's perspective of one method over another. However, my gut tells me that individual posts can get a knife noticed quicker.

When I'm in a buying mode (which is most of the time
wink.gif
) I first scan the current day's topics, regardless of what page they may be on, for particular knives that may interest me. Then, if I have time, I'll go into the "Custom & Production FS" type of post. IMO, having to click on multiple "misc knives FS" posts would be more time consuming for potential buyers.

Gut feelings aside, I'll give the consolidated post concept a shot with a list of some custom & production FS items in a day or so.

On the issue of pictures, unless a knife is a readily available current production piece, I am generally going to want to see a picture before committing to a purchase. An excellent way to both include pictures & conserve bandwidth is to use thumbnail images. There is a current thread in the Custom knife forum that Gus Kalanzis started to show folks how to do just that.

One more point on the issue of whether or not to post a "mail call" type message -- In my experience, yes, do so after first sending an e-mail. Just this week I composed & thought I sent an e-mail regarding a knife FS. Outlook crashed w/o either saving or sending my message. If I had not posted my "mail call" message, the seller would have not known of my interest. Lost & delayed e-mail may not be a common thing, but it does happen. Just read some recent posts & you'll find several "I never got your e-mail" comments.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 11-30-2000).]

Back