Recommendation? Potentially stupid question

I know the big river site is rife with counterfeit knives, but what are the odds of getting a counterfeit Victorinox? I ask because they've got the least unreasonable price for the one I want, and it would be shipped from them, and not a third party seller.

Tell us what model are you after?
How much was it? We can tell you whether it is reasonable?
Where are you located, might be able to offer alternatives.

Oh yeah no ham in asking😉

It is called "Volume".
When a dealer buys several hundred or thousands of one item in a single order, they get a lower per unit cost on that item than a dealer who buys 5 or 20 of the same item. Therefore a big dealer can sell at a lower price, and still make the same profit per item as a small dealer.

I was not aware that store was rift with counterfeits. First I have heard of it.

Alox Minichamp--$51 at the big river, damned near $70 almost everywhere else. I don't know of any stocking Vic dealers near me that would carry it, and odds are they'd charge more than most online knife retailers.

It is called "Volume".
When a dealer buys several hundred or thousands of one item in a single order, they get a lower per unit cost on that item than a dealer who buys 5 or 20 of the same item. Therefore a big dealer can sell at a lower price, and still make the same profit per item as a small dealer.

I was not aware that store was rift with counterfeits. First I have heard of it.
Tends to happen with a bunch of the third party sellers, who turn out to be selling counterfeits. Also, people buying real knives and putting fakes in the box and returning them. From complaints I've read, Amazon must not go through the trouble of actually checking to make sure the right item was returned.

Alox Minichamp--$51 at the big river, damned near $70 almost everywhere else. I don't know of any stocking Vic dealers near me that would carry it, and odds are they'd charge more than most online knife retailers.
I haven’t seen any MC clones, but that doesn’t mean they’re not out there. Personally, I’d spend the extra $15-20 for peace of mind.

Tends to happen with a bunch of the third party sellers, who turn out to be selling counterfeits. Also, people buying real knives and putting fakes in the box and returning them. From complaints I've read, Amazon must not go through the trouble of actually checking to make sure the right item was returned.
My apologies. No idea why I was thinking of that big store in the foggy hills of Tennessee. 🤨 Must have had a old thing brain fart, or something. 🙄 Sorry about that ... ☹️

Amazon probably doesn't handle the returned item, unless they actually shipped the item.
Most of the Rough Rider/Ryder, Marbles, Colt, and offshore Old Timers, as well as fountain pens, ink, archery stuff, I bought there were shipped by the various dealers (especially for the knives and other things that offered "free" shipping for the items that cost less than $25 by itself or combined with other items to total $25 or more), not from a Amazon warehouse.

I don’t buy a lot of new Victorinox knives…but when I do, I try to buy directly from them. Not because I worry about fakes, but more the open box return issue. And I’d rather Victorinox make the retail sale profit.

The only serious attempt at a fake Victorinox I know of was a Rescue Tool. That one fooled a lot of people and I’ve even seen a used one sell pretty recently and the seller didn’t believe me when I told them it was a fake. They sold it anyway.

Back