1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ppara-military

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by thunderdaddy, Jul 13, 2019.

1. thunderdaddy

thunderdaddy

Sep 18, 2016
    Does anyone have a first release para-military knife? Just simply called
    paramilitary on the box and looks like the current paramilitary 2. I may have picked one up and would like to see photos of something legit for comparison. Thanks to anybody who can and will.

2. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    It would have Military one position clip.

[​IMG]

3. thunderdaddy

thunderdaddy

Sep 18, 2016
    Thanks- I'm not sure how to post photos here yet, the one I have here has some jumping on the compression lock release lever where you press it and a different looking pivot hardware than I've ever seen. The clip is as you say and matches the photo of discounted products on the Spyderco forum site as does the jumping on this blade matches yours. Blade is plain edge satin finish here. The liners are definitely different than the 2 series. The seem to be marginally present.

4. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Here are a few pictures of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thunderdaddy

thunderdaddy

Sep 18, 2016
    Thanks you guys. There's a couple of differences between the one I got- jimping on the lock release and the pivot hardware is not what I'm used to seeing on a spyderco at all. One of the repair guys at spyderco took a look at my photos and said they look right but he's passing them on to a guy that might have more first hand experience with these.

I can't really see how this would be a phony but all the recent knock-off shenanigations keep me nervous. If it's right, that will be great as I have a bunch of early militaries that I kept in good order, pretty good. Even though I kind of like the beefier new ones, I still carry my old ones a lot. Both the P2 and P3 are nice upgrades to this para-military I think but I'm loving to see their origin/root. I hope it's straight- thanks again for the help you guys.

6. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    I doubt they would go to the trouble of copying the original Paramilitary. I have a few and the jimping does vary quite a bit.

7. thunderdaddy

thunderdaddy

Sep 18, 2016
    Thank you-- that helps. It all did, I found some solid reference material(s) based on you guys' input and I can see the range of years approx the knife was made had some differing elements and even some changing design. Now I've been able to get my hands on a few more and I can see all the variations. Also I strongly agree about nobody knocking them off at that time or anytime since.