Test ad

Practical use for Hinderer Harpoon grind?

Gideons

Gold Member
Hello,

Besides looking cool, I'm curious what are the advantages to the Hinderer Harpoon grind?

-Gideon

Velitrius

Gold Member
Hmmm... it looks cool alright.

Trying to think of why I'd need a grind that-a-way, but coming up empty.

Don't let that dissuade you though... I've got boxes of impractical knives that I think are awesome.

If "It looks cool" is the only metric of the knife you buy, well then it's YOUR metric, and you don't have to justify it to anyone ('Cept the wife)

Advantages? I can't see any, but maybe if you e-mail Rick you'll get a list of advantages you can cite to the wife during your argument.

Glenn Goodlett

Gold Member
It adds to my mall ninja cred.
ggle4ME.jpg

Gideons

Gold Member
Hmmm... it looks cool alright.

Trying to think of why I'd need a grind that-a-way, but coming up empty.

Don't let that dissuade you though... I've got boxes of impractical knives that I think are awesome.

If "It looks cool" is the only metric of the knife you buy, well then it's YOUR metric, and you don't have to justify it to anyone ('Cept the wife)

Advantages? I can't see any, but maybe if you e-mail Rick you'll get a list of advantages you can cite to the wife during your argument.
Well, I was just curious, I've tried out his slicer grind and spanto and there is a pretty big difference in performance between the two. Next on the list is his Bowie grind then I will probably buy a knife with a Harpoon grind... I'm hoping gen 7 will add traction (like the half-track) on the TI side of the XM-18 or G10 inserts.

Blues

Only Taken Out of the Box for Photos
Staff member
Super Mod
Herman Melville would've probably carried one...

moby_dick_queequeg_harpooneer.jpg

"Another hundred years or so, and we could have had ourselves a Hinderer or two."

Isn't a spanto for a slightly thicker and therefore stronger tip compared to a regular spear point and then the harpoon part gives a nice thumb resting place? Harpoon spantos look the best.

jstn

Gold Member
I could be wrong, but I think it is supposed to aid in penetration while retaining a strong tip. Not sure how practical that is for real world use though. My harpoon spanto seems thinner at the tip than the regular spanto, which I like. It definitely does look cool!

mag1

Gold Member
best looking blade shape so far esp in black

ferider

Gold Member
(1) stronger tip, (2) easier to flip, in particular Gen 4. I have 2 Harpoon fatty Tantos, 2 of my best flippers ...