Prayers, but please, NO smoke!!! (read on...)

Here in Central TX (Austin and the Hill Country), we've been getting plastered by a combined drought and heat wave, all summer long: ridiculously high A/C bills, plants and animals dying left and right. My frickin' CHILI PEPPER plants are getting fried in the garden!

Anyway, in the last week it has all flared up, quite literally, into a series of intense wildfires. A massive fire in Bastrop County (which may have threatened my parents' former house) is barely contained, and other fires have ignited in the north and west. Particularly bad was the west fire, with devastated the Steiner Ranch development, destroying what I think were 24-30 homes... including my cousin Katie's. She and her husband barely got out with the kids, the dogs, and stuffed animals and blankies for both.

It's been dreadful. While Katie & Co.'s insurance has treated them well, they've had to repurchase everything down to food & clothes, and have had to get a new apartment and re-register the kids in school. And they're the lucky ones: lots of people have lost every, single, damn thing, and donation booths are popping up all over town. Even the animals have been hard-hit: aside from the terrible losses of animal lives to fire, the animal shelters are now experiencing massive new intake. EVERYONE is hurting.

So, any prayers or good wishes that you have are quite welcome, especially for Katie and the animals. But gods, NO SMOKE!!! We've got quite enough already!

NO SMOKE!!! We've got quite enough already!
Exactly.:(
j6ke9f.jpg

It breaks my heart to hear of the Hill Country burning. I only lived in N Bexar County for about 3-4 yrs, but Texas gets under your skin.

Prayers, and I agree no more smoke. I'm being affected By the Tri-County fire over here north of Houston. We need rain in this state something awful. Good luck to you guys.
Dan

You certainly have my sympathies and hopefully the wind won't shift and send you any of the MN smoke. There is a big 'ol fire burning outside my old hometown of Ely right now and they are complaining about the smoke all the way over in Chicago. Sounds like the USFS has its hands full nation-wide.

This is terrible...I can hardly believe that this is happening.... Peace to those who have died in this terrible drought, and rain to those who are waiting for it on their last legs. Now would certainly be a good time for cloud seeding or that Area 51 weather machine Gov't has been wrongfully keeping from the world.... No, really, I am deeply sorry for all those who suffer from this drought. Peace.

I'm just a little ways down 35 from y'all and we had smoke from bastrop for days. Thankfully, it rained here yesterday and I'm praying for some more. Fires were breaking out everywhere. Idiots throwing cigarette butts out of cars, using BBQ pits in high winds, loose trailer safety chains bouncing off the road throwing sparks, anything and everything was starting large fires.

May my dear friends in Tx and Dirty South get to safer place. Smoke sent and be safe with loved ones.

Back