PREDOMINANTLY One knife 30 day challenge?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by cbach8tw, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I have carried the same three knives for at least the last year. There is some duplication. I could get all my cutting done with the Alox Electrician, but I don’t have to. I’m not interested in trying. I do this hobby so I can play with a lot of knives.
    Our forbears often stuck with one knife, sometimes for decades, out of necessity, or because the knife was regarded as a tool, not a form of amusement.

guy g, cbach8tw and DocJD like this.
  2. Wasty

Wasty Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Well, my BK14 is my NGK*. I carry it now for several years, have several of it and in different states of modification.
    I use it daily. So 30 days WITHOUT it would be a challenge...
    For non knife people and "Can I borrow a knife - people?" reasons I also carry a Vic to the office, and in my backpack are more knives.

The BK14 does everything I need it to do, as I tested it as kitchen - outdoor - office/urban knife.

*Near Grail Knife

guy g likes this.
  3. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I know call be boring but I still carry the 30 year old spyderco police every day since I purchased it back then. I wouldn't mind a new knife, still waiting for this one to wear out. I'm into fixed blades mostly, kind of like those Hinderers though. I wonder if they are as thin in the pocket as the Spyderco Police.

DangerZone98, CHNeal, guy g and 2 others like this.
  4. Kabancheck

Kabancheck

Aug 11, 2018
    I’m just get the large Sebenza 21 and it will definitely be my main EDC knife for next few months. Usually I have two folders in same period of time - one as main EDC and second as more “tactical beater heavy duty” knife. I can go with Sebenza as not main but only knife for the next month or two, it will be fun to do, but I have one problem... what about my SAK? :D I am always have SAK on me, wherever I go, drive, fly or swim :)

ktataragasi, guy g and Dcdavis like this.
  5. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    I accept the challenge.

I'll be using my ESEE 3 as EDC, working knife in garage and it'll go to forrest with me too.
    I think I can get by.

ktataragasi and guy g like this.
  6. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for participating and your ideas, keep them coming. I guess one other reason someone mentioned having two was that you have your main knife and a SA or something like a beater just in case someone wants to borrow it. Keep your knife undamaged from the uninitiated or those who think a knife is a screwdriver or pry bar. It is hard for me to decide which to choose (now stop laughing to those who told me so!! ) but I think I will try my AG Russell cowboy or a SA or the small skinner I got. So do I need to adjust it to say what combo you would use, but the predominant one you would still use first? The skinner for me would do about everything, but the longer blade of the Cowboy could do some slicing duty or the SA for a bottle opener. Although I could just use the regular bottle opener on the fridge. I am not admitting defeat, but will still try to use the one for most of the work. Live and learn. I appreciate everyone's opinions. Most importantly, share what we learn with this challenge. Stay safe and stay sharp!!!!

guy g likes this.
  7. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    If I were to only carry one, it would be my Vic Explorer . It has every thing I need to get thru a month.

8. ktataragasi

ktataragasi

May 26, 2019
    You said 30 day knife challenge not multi tool. The way I see it is a what will be your primary cary for 30 days. Having a back up or a lender doesn't count as it's not something you typically reach for. Other tools all exist and should still get used. Just because you are using one knife doesn't somehow mean you stop using screwdrivers or hammers to work on things... A knife is a cutting implement. So carry what you want to use to cut and continue to use other tools.

As for a quick breakdown of my Kershaw Atmos carry:

I ended up loving this knife. It started as a test to see if 8cr13Mov would be enough for edc tasks. It is. The light weight, slim profile and fun flipping action really just made the knife though and you sort of stop thinking of the blade steel. I think a sandvic steel would be amazing on it but that is just a preference. So for a ~$20 knife I think it is amazing value. Also it held up well even with kitchen duty and I cook almost every day. Is it the perfect "everything" knife? No. But you can get by just fine. And there is no "everything" knife that does everything well.

The GEC 93 is made with beautiful materials but for me the carry aspect of it is not right. I also learned I do care about one hand opening. I know for some it doesn't matter but I prefer one handed operation. I'll update after the month for final verdict.

cbach8tw likes this.
  9. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I’ve been thinking about this thread since it was posted, I cannot use use just one knife for a solid month. The biggest reason is that I don’t like using a folding knife for kitchen use. For me, kitchen duty has to be a fixed blade. Using a fixed blade for work isn’t out of the question, it’s not practical and I’d wind up losing it.

cbach8tw, Dcdavis and guy g like this.
  10. CarsonWayne

CarsonWayne Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2020
    I could easily carry a Spyderco Para 3 every day for a month. Now, it wouldn't be the same one, as that would be boring, and life is too short for that.

guy g likes this.
  11. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    293969D1-462A-4DBA-9A22-E450A9AD265D.jpeg That would be my Large 21 Sebenza Insingo.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  12. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    I used to carry the same knife for years at a time, until I either broke it or lost it. It’s easy when your primary focus with a knife is as a tool.

Here’s a little secret most BF members don’t like to admit to ourselves - the average person carrying a knife, only has one, and it’s usually a pretty cheap one. And guess what, they usually work just as well as all the fancy, high priced ones we like. In fact, through my teens and early 20’s, I routinely carried around knifes I bought for $10 at flea markets or in the outdoors section of Kmart, etc. If it got dull, I ran it through the sharpener on the electric can opener in my mother’s kitchen. If I broke the tip off while prying something, I reground it on the bench grinder. If I lost it, I replaced it for another $10.

Even after I discovered ‘better’ knives, I still only carried one. For the longest time (probably close to 10 years) it was an old Kershaw Blackout. Then for a few years, an assisted Gerber (don’t remember the model), followed by a Leek, and most recently a Manix 2.

I could easily do a 30 day challenge again today. My knives are still primarily tools for me. For the last 2 weeks I’ve carried a Spyderco Dragonfly almost exclusively, considering I’m not working, and primarily living in basketball or running shorts, and it’s done most of what I’ve needed a knife for. Maybe I’ll just keep carrying it exclusively for a while.

The question is, what consists of ‘just one’ for 30 days? EDC is one thing, but what about things like camping, house projects, or food prep? Does the 6” fixed blade in my camp bag count against me? What about the utility blade in my toolbox? Or my 8” chef’s knife that I’ll be breaking down chicken with tonight? Anyone ever use one edc exclusively, for everything, for 30 days? Now THAT would be a challenge!

cbach8tw, ktataragasi and guy g like this.
  13. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    I carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt SE every day, and have done for maybe 2 years now. The size/weight/cutting performance cannot be beat as far as I'm concerned. Yes I have other knives, but they rarely find their way into my pocket.

ktataragasi and guy g like this.
  14. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I think I'll actually give this a shot. I may have to come up with a way to randomize the choice though or I'll never decide!

edit: I'm going with this Patrick Doyle "Jack Pine" for round 1. Should be a good opportunity to actually use more of my customs.

[​IMG]

15. CHNeal

CHNeal Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I carried a Buck 303 for 45 years, not the same one of course but always a Buck 303. This just showed up today. It was purchased to be my edc knife. It will replace the couple that have filled in while waiting for this to arrive. 30 days? Ok but I’m hoping for 30 years. 69D1A6B7-9946-425E-8117-FA07211414B1.jpeg

16. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    this knife has seen many months of carry in a row

with my edc gun

[​IMG]

I actually just switched it out for this

you can see what works for me

[​IMG]

17. tomsch

tomsch Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2004
    I carried a Reeve large Insingo for well over a year every day. From there I bounced from knife to knife pretty much weekly. The one knife that stopped all the churn is my BM Anthem which has put all my knives back in the drawer. I do look to pick up something that looks interesting but I'm still so addicted to the Anthem that nothing else looks enticing. So..... yes I'm in for another 30days :)

guy g, ktataragasi and CHNeal like this.
  18. timbo813

timbo813

Jun 24, 2014
    I’m gonna do this with my spydiechef. It’s nicely suited to this use because it’s rust proof and much of my use is food prep. The only thing that might make me cheat is if I need to cut something abusive in remodeling a house.

I used a Gayle Bradley 2 almost exclusively for over a year before buying the Spydiechef. It was also a great knife but is suited a little more to hard use and much less to water. The gayle Bradley was good for food as well but I needed to keep the pivot clean and not leave it wet.

guy g likes this.
  19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I in essence already do this and have for the last year. On occasion I do carry a second knife (usually a small fixed blade). So, I guess I can't play.

guy g likes this.
  20. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    I carried a Buck 301 Stockman every day from some time in 1974 until 1979 or ‘80. Even though I switch around a lot for fun now I could easily carry my Hogue Deka for a month. Really though, it would be a tough choice between that one and a few others. :p

guy g likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.