Preferred folder thickness?

kamagong

Gold Member
How thick do you guys like your folders? I have come to realize that the ideal folder thickness for me is the thickness of the Spyderco Military. I find that this thickness provides the perfect blend of heft and carryability. While other knives such as my Gen 3 Endura may be more carryable, I find that they are not as comfortable in use because of the thin handle. Also, thicker knives like the MT LCC might be more comfortable to use, but are not nearly as convenient to carry IWB, my preferred method of carry.

I tend to have a preference for larger blades right now and love carrying folders with thick blades like my 610 and manix which are both around 3/16.

However thick my Grip 551 is. It fills my hand very well but doesn't take up the entire pocket.

I like the handfilling handle of my Spartan Lite and OH Bundeswehr, combined with the thin blade profile for excellent cutting performance.

On the second thought, is the question about handle thickness against carryability, grip etc. or is it about blade thickness?

Chris "Anagarika" said:
On the second thought, is the question about handle thickness against carryability, grip etc. or is it about blade thickness?
My question is about handle thickness. After all we are talking about comfort and carryability, not cutting efficiency.

I like the thinnest handle in my pocket that fills my hand comfortably. For an all purpose EDC, as opposed to a gent's knife, so far doesn't seem to get much thinner than a Benchmade 960, 921 or 940, and for truly hard use I think my thinnest are probably my Yojimbo and my BM 710HS.

I think a designer with thin-ness as an objective could make a 710-sized knife 921 thin, and I guess the Military comes close.

Well, I have rather large hands and prefer the 4.75 blade Harsey Tactical for EDC. Usually carried in its belt sheath on my left hip. I also prefer to keep a smaller, thinner knife clipped to the waistband front right side. This is either a Kershaw speedsafe type or the big Spyderco Military. I have had the military since when they first came out, believe 1995 or 6? It has the CPM440V plain edge. It has seen much use, been sharpened many times, and still looks good. I would leave the Harsey at home if need be, but the military would go with me anywhere due to its thinness.

CBXer55
Oklahoma City

Really, my ideal thickness is about half an inch. I hate thin folders mostly. I like my 172 very much, but its the exception. I'm always wishing that the knife would be thicker. Guess that's why my next custom will be a LOT thicker than my other knives. That's why God gave us sheath makers.

-Anthony

Back