1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preferred use of 2 SAK blades

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by SuburbanBarbarian, Aug 19, 2018.

1. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    Just curious; there seems too be two major schools of thought on the large and small SAK blades.
    1. Main blade for food, small blade for work.(myself included)
    2. Main blade for all, small blade for back-up.
    I don't see either as wrong. Just curious how you use yours and the reasoning.

TonySal likes this.
  2. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    Actually I'd much rather have another tool, especially on something named "tinker".
    But it's more about control, although you can choke up on a larger blade. Small knife for finer work.

3. Harayasu

Harayasu

Jun 18, 2009
    I use the main blade for almost all cutting tasks and the small blade if I think a small blade is more suitable. For finer work or for opening packages and envelopes.

4. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Thats easy... the mainble only for food (!!) and the seconday blade for work. Each of the them is always kept razorsharp.

5. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I use whatever blade fits the bill. That said, the pen blade gets the most use.

WinchesteRalox likes this.
  6. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I'm also a follower of the clean blade/ dirty blade principle and the main blade is the clean blade on SAK's.

7. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Although I usually don't use my EDC knives for food, I have. Usually the longer blade helps because some food is tall, and you will be dragging your handle through it on some smaller blades.

8. Mora2013

Mora2013

Dec 1, 2013
    Food almost always needs a longer blade. Miscellaneous cutting tasks usually don’t need a long blade.

jackknife likes this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    As with any two bladed folder it's the main blade for most stuff and the pen blade for finer detailed tasks the small blade is more suited to.

10. Piso Mojado

Piso Mojado Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2006
    You could use one blade for meat and one for dairy (cheese) but a rabbi would probably tell you to use different knives. No doubt there is a ruling in Talmudic law.

11. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I keep forgetting it has the small blade. :(
    To be honest, I use the other tools more than the blade(s) on my Huntsman.
    Generally speaking, if I need a blade, I'll use one of the other knives I have on me.

WinchesteRalox likes this.
  12. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I have never used the knife blades on my current Swiss Champ. I carry other knives for cutting stuff. I carry the SAK for all it's other tools.

O.B.

13. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    I'm a follower of thermal blade for small jobs like cutting open boxes and opening my mail and stripping wire, and ,main blade or food items and just stuff that requires a long blade. Most jobs can be done with a Stanley 99 or other utility knife and they only have a one inch blade. Most cutting jobs don't require much blade as per the example the popularity offloading utility knives like Husky, Super Knife and Milwaukee that most tradesmen carry.

I love having a second blade on my SAK.

14. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    I ise the large blade for most tasks - not food- and the small pne is kept clean and sharp for something......

15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Most of the SAKs I own have only one blade. A couple have two. I carry one that has only one blade and usually a second knife. I subscribe to option #2 generally on traditionals that have a small and larger blade.

TonySal likes this.