Preparing to run out of water

Hydration is arguably one of the top survival priorities in every climate zone a survivor may encounter short of going overboard in the Great Lakes. We need water and if we don’t have it we suffer greatly.

Were I live in Brazil (Minas Gerais) every year groups of young people go off for day hikes, get lost and end up spending the night in the bush. I was able to personally interview several participants from one such incident and the lessons learned are worth noting. The group consisted of several adult leaders and about 20 teenage boys.

#1. Many of the people on the hike had taken a “comfort bottle” of water. By that I mean an easy to carry 500 ml plastic bottle. On a typical hike this represents about 25% of their body’s actual need for water. Many people did not carry any water at all, others only carried soft drinks. Almost universally as the liquid ran out the bottle was tossed aside. All the groups’ water supply was gone before the halfway point of the proposed hike.

#2. Nobody purposefully carried the means to collect, store, or treat water. The leadership was confident that a short four-hour hike would present little difficulty.

#3. As the short noontime “Hike” turned into an ordeal that lasted long into the night the number one misery factor was thirst.

#4. It was after dark before anyone started to look for water. A small run-off from a cattle pasture was found but nobody drank because they couldn’t even see the water let alone determine its condition. They had no means to purify the water and very little storage capacity considering the size of the group.

#5. This bad experience turned a great many of those city-bred kids off to further wilderness exploration.

I am now I the position to take large groups of teens in the wilderness on day hikes and we now have a few protocols in place. Everyone carries at least one liter of water, no bottles are to be discarded along the way. The group leaders always carry the means to collect and purify drinking water.

On a personal level I have a few rules that I follow whenever I go into the bush for a day or more.

1#. Always carry enough containers to hold a full 24-hour supply of water. You don’t have to carry them full but if you don’t have them along your range will be severely limited in dry terrain. Your route of travel will be determined by water sources. Platypus bags are a good choice for this.

#2. Always carry a low cost, disposable means to cache extra water. Large heavy-duty zip-lock bags are highly recommended. If you paid money for a canteen, camelback, or platypus bag you most likely won’t leave it full of water as a cache. If you do cache it somewhere you will end up returning for it even if you don’t need the water just to retrieve the container. I don’t advocate littering but the planet will forgive you if you leave a zip-lock full of water on a mountaintop somewhere.

#2. Always carry both a filter and chemical means to purify water. Double check to make sure you have enough chemical means to cover the entire trip. Chemical means alone limit the sources that your will use for drinking water. In actual practice nasty looking water sources get passed over in hopes of finding a better source. That is fine if the chances of finding water are good, if not you have to take what you can get and often it is unappetizing water if not filtered. If your water tastes bad or is suspect in any way you WILL NOT drink enough of it to keep yourself from getting dehydrated. You will only drink “bad water” (nasty looking, smelly, chemically treated water) once you are already dehydrated and your body will drink just about anything.

#3. Most field expedient survival techniques for extracting water from unlikely sources are dependant upon a minimum of gear.

Any plastic sheeting will collect rainwater, but only clear plastic can be used for transpiration bags or solar stills. While both of these methods are usually marginal performers neither of them is even possible with a black contractor bag common to survival kits.

Dew collection is a very good way to get a useful quantity of water. Any grimy T-shirt will soak up dew water but it is far more appealing to try this with a clean sponge or absorbent cloth. You also need a wide mouth container to wring the water into. The resulting water is often very dirty and needs to be filtered and treated.

I have found a 60 ml syringe and clear plastic tubing to be invaluable for collecting water from strange sources. Seeps and small pools often have fine silt at the bottom. When you find these sources they are normally settled and clear. They are also shallow and difficult to harvest. The syringe allows you to suck the water from the surface of very shallow pools without disturbing them.

The tube also allows you to get water out of places too tight to dip from or too deep to reach. A waking stick and three rubber bands allow you to form a probe that can reach down several feet into a crack or hole. Some types of tubing are too flexible for this and will collapse under the rubber bands.

On a hunch I once threaded about a 40cm of tube down a 1 cm hole in a boulder and extracted about 200 ml of water. In my experience that’s about four times what a transpiration bag will produce with a fraction of the effort. Sucking up 60ml of water at a time is a time consuming and tedious process but when you compare it to building a solar still or digging it ain’t that bad a deal. Mac

This is so absolutely typical of most people these days no matter where you are. They give no prior thought to the "what if" senerio. Most people think that life is like a Walt Dinsney movie.

Even if a comfort bottle of water is all you take, thats okay. The plastic that bottle is made out of will stand up to alot of refillings. Its tougher than you think.

BUT- like you said, you have to have some means of collecting and purifying said water. A water filter should always be in your gear.

Take a look at the survival vest worn by air force pilots. It cantains a small sponge and a bag to collect water from dew on leaves in the dawn hours. A little bit at a time is better than none. We can go for several days with no food, but will die in three or less, depending on conditions, with no water.

I too have read about alot of true survival stories, and thirst was a major issue. In some cases it could be a deciding factor.

Mac, Many thanks for the information.

Another item to consider for your water kit that weighs almost nothing and packs pretty small is to add a few paper coffee-maker filters.

They make good initial filters for sediment in dirty water. They also provide paper to shred for tinder. Be sure to test for fire starting usability before counting on it in the field. Coupled with some duct tape they allow you to improvise a band-aid, a dust mask, or packaging to organize small kit (fishing gear or sewing kit perhaps). You could likewise tape a bit of one over the end of your rubber tubing as a pre-filter. You could even use them to brew up some coffee in a pinch. ;)

pict said:
#1. Many of the people on the hike had taken a “comfort bottle” of water. By that I mean an easy to carry 500 ml plastic bottle...Almost universally as the liquid ran out the bottle was tossed aside.
By throwing away those PET plastic bottles, they also lost the single item they need to disinfect gathered water via Solar Disinfection (SODIS).

Do a web search for "sodis disinfection" to get a bunch of info on this technique. This link is the best I found so far: http://www.sodis.ch/ Their how-it-works webpage explains the sodis process succinctly.

According to this webpage, if the water temp reaches 50-degrees Celsius, only an hour at that temp is needed to disinfect the water.

Like Rokjok I carry coffee filters, I carry the cone strainer too because i like to make coffee :)
Beside straining sediment, I also like Katadyn micropur tablets, they are expensive but just about " idiot proof" and very very easy to carry in small kit.
Martin

RokJok,

Thanks for the SODIS link. They even had a page in Portuguese that will come in handy. Whenever I teach wilderness survival it is in Portuguese.

Solar disinfection wouldn't have helped the group I interviewed due to the time factors involved. It sure is a great "next day" strategy. I never really thought of it before but the next time I cache water in a ziplock bag it will be in full sunlight.

In Brazil we make coffee in small cloth filters. I often carry one of these. I also use a two stage filter made out of PVC pipe. The top stage has a wad of synthetic fiber of the kind used for fish tanks, the bottom section is filled with activated charcoal. It does a great job of reducing turbidity and improving taste. The best part is that it cost about $2 to make. Mac

A handy water gathering implement is a small bike tyre pump.
You may initially need to disassemble it and clean out any mineral oil or grease, but once cleaned, it makes a very handy tool to draw water from the cleanest area of a puddle or pond.

Add a couple of metres of plastic tube to extend the pump hose into crevices in rocks.

Water obtained this way may look clear and clean, but still needs to be purified and/or boiled before drinking.

Im unclear how the bike pump idea works, my pump only blows air out, the head is designed so air cannot flow IN.
does your bike pump suck air IN when you draw it :confused:
Martin

I cannot believe anyone would be allowed to carry sodas on a hike of any length. My rule is water only.
Then they throw the bottles away!? Not even if we are hiking through tornado destruction would I allow littering. You brought it, you carry it. Period. :eek:

Merek said:
I cannot believe anyone would be allowed to carry sodas on a hike of any length. My rule is water only.
Then they throw the bottles away!? Not even if we are hiking through tornado destruction would I allow littering. You brought it, you carry it. Period. :eek:

Exactly! ;)

Reading about the hikers reminds me of "Survivor:Africa", when one team dumped out their water because it was too heavy!!! :eek: Me and the missus prayed that the lions would eat 'em! Didn't watch the show again until the "All Stars" season, and then we were disappointed when Rudy got voted off.

Matt in Texas

Understand that I am as appalled at their behavior as you guys are. Unfortunately it is typical. Don't even get me GOING about their footwear! I have another rule NO FLIP-FLOPS! You would be amazed at the numbers of people on long hikes in the rocky hills of central Brazil who wear flip-flips. Invariably one of them will slip, twist an ankle, smash a toe etc. I pass groups of suffering day hikers all the time liek this.

I do alot of speaking at youth camps and they always want ome to take them on hikes. You don't go unless you carry water and wear at least sneakers.

I think it has to do with the fact that I live in a city of 4 million people 1.5 hours away from some serious wilderness areas. Easy access for unprepared people. Mac

pict said:
Understand that I am as appalled at their behavior as you guys are. Unfortunately it is typical. Don't even get me GOING about their footwear! I have another rule NO FLIP-FLOPS! You would be amazed at the numbers of people on long hikes in the rocky hills of central Brazil who wear flip-flips. Invariably one of them will slip, twist an ankle, smash a toe etc. I pass groups of suffering day hikers all the time liek this.

I do alot of speaking at youth camps and they always want ome to take them on hikes. You don't go unless you carry water and wear at least sneakers.

I think it has to do with the fact that I live in a city of 4 million people 1.5 hours away from some serious wilderness areas. Easy access for unprepared people. Mac

Sounds like where you live at is what I would call Paradise. To have the chance to get away from it all like that is just awesome. Where I live at, it seems the city just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I remember when it was just a medium size town, now we have traffic jams and so on. I would kill to be where you are at.

I do know what you mean about people and their choice of footwear. Some people dont think. When/if I got hiking, I wear boots only. Mainly military type boots. I dont even agree with sneakers. I feel that you should have something to support your ankles as well as protect them. Never know what may happen out there. Wearing anything other than boots is like bringing beer to do alittle shooting. Just asking for something bad to happen.

I just wish there was more people in my area that liked to go camping. I would definately like to get together with them and go camping, for a weekend or longer. Maybe learn a thing or to.

Lee

My wife and I recently spent several weeks in Brazil (Chapada Diamantina, Amazon, Pantanal) and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. I was also taken aback by the locals lack of preparation for treks. Guides would only bring less than a liter with them. Even with a minimum assortment of gear, I received a bunch of "McGyver" comments.

This is what I had with me:

* Daypack
* SF G2 flashlight (searching for wildlife at night)
* Arc LS (used all the time)
* 2 liter Platypus bag (used all the time)
* 30 ft of nylon cord (used for hanging our hammocks in the Amazon when the guide forgot rope and as a laundry line)
* Light rain shell (frequent rains)
* Leatherman Wave (I would go crazy without a leatherman)
* Survival kit (used the fishing kit along with a leader from wire to catch paranah, yum. Used the duct tape for several repairs, including a guide's glasses. Used vaseline cotton ball fire starter in wet jungle conditions -- worked great)
* MSR Miox water purifier (never had to use it since we always made sure we had a good supply of bottled water)
* Compass (I have a terrible sense of direction and managed to get lost in the jungle after a short walk from our camp at night. I thought I was only walking 30 yards or so to pursue a giant frog, so of course didn't have the compass the one time I really could have used it. You can't even see your own hand in front of your face under the jungle canopy at night. Cool glowing insects and fungi though)

-- Dizos

Dizos,

Welcome to my world. Brazilians by nature are so flexible that they usually fail to plan. They adapt well in fluid situations but fail to anticipate what will probably happen and plan accordingly. I'm not surprised that your guide was often unprepared though he could probably do a great deal with his surroundings if he took the time. Brazilians are very resourceful.

I live about an hour away from Serra Do Cipó and an hour and half from Serra Da Caraça. I don't camp in the national parks. I have areas that I go that are near them, just as wild and totally devoid of people.

Someday I'm going to get up to the Amazon. I have an open invitation to teach a module in a school there and will take it up as soon as I can manage the airfare. A bush pilot friend knows a lake 10 minutes air time from the river. He's promised to strap a canoe to the float of the plane and drop me off for a week if I come up there to teach at some point. The lake is filled with peacock bass that have never seen an artificial lure. This would be heaven to me.

I have a friend who fishes I the Pantanal every year. He's invited me to come with him but it will be a hard one to manage. We normally cover for each other when either of us is on vacation.

I get McGyver comments all the time there too. They stop making fun of me the first time they ask to borrow my knife. Another time one of my biggest detractors had his shoe fall apart hiking down a stream. I was able to sew the sole back on for him and he hasn't made a comment since. Mac

Pict,

Yep, I don't want to imply that the guides we had were incompetent. I was very amazed at their skill and knowledge of the wildlife. Our guide in the Amazon built a campsite complete with two waterproof palapas in under 15 minutes, all with a 12" Tramontina machete. Amazing to watch. I'm sure if I didn't come up with the rope, he would have rigged something from the jungle to tie off the hammocks with.

That Peacock Bass trip sounds amazing. Brazil has such vast wilderness areas.

What do you do down there?

-- Dizos

Dizos,

I'm a Baptist missionary. I work in a downtown church of about 200 int he area of youth ministry and leadership development. I also help run a camp in a rural area about 1.5 hours north of Belo Horizonte. As a sideshow to all of this I teach wilderness survival to groups of teen agers on an informal basis. Mac

Back