1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Kydex Press foam thickness

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by indawire, Aug 15, 2020.

1. indawire

indawire

Dec 26, 2011
    Being stuck at home with Covid restrictions I decided to fool around with making a kydex press etc. Ordered a 12x24 sheet of foam from knifekits, it'a 1/2" thick. Is a single layer of this enough or should I increase the thickness with some leftover 1/4" sleeping pad material to give me 3/4" on each side? I've also seen comments about a light coat of Pam on the foam contact surface to prevent sticking. Necessary?

I'm starting out with Boltron and it seems the consensus is a toaster oven set to around 300/
    is the way to go. I've got a IR temp scanner from inspections so I can get an accurate reading. I found a pair of 12"x12" exercise machine footplates at the dump and cut and ground off the original mounting brackets. A pair of spare 4" ball bearing door hinges will get welded to the plates after I get some opinions on the correct foam thickness. Let me know what you folks think about the foam thickness, I'm still waiting to get a toaster oven traded for something I'm getting rid of (a NIB garden tractor plow) so it's a work in progress.

2. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020