How To Prevent Cold Steel Rifleman keeps rusting badly in the sheath

Only one side. Last time I drenched it in 3 in 1 after I spent hours trying to get the pitting out. It happened again. I have to think there is something acidic in the sheath causing it. Other than storing them separately, any other suggestions. Also, anything to help with polishing the rust pits out.

Maybe Sandpaper in varying grits - then renaissance wax for storage. Pics would help đź‘Ť

Frog Lube and store it in a silicone sock.

Steel Shield is also a good rust preventative.

Try use sheath for field use only !
For resting keep blade clean, oiled and not in that sheath
There are so many storage options

I typically treat my hawks (example below) to a couple baths in hot apple cider vinegar after a good stripping. Builds a nice oxide layer. Many other similar alternatives.

Storing in a leather sheath creates potential condition where tannins used in processing the leather, along with oils and moisture held in leather can promote oxidation and undesired rust.

Hawks In Process-720Wide.JPG

A coat of paste wax keeps tools (chisels, plane blades, etc) from rusting in the tool chests, in my garage. Not sure how it would work in a sheath, though.

Try heating up the sheath with a heat gun and melting some beeswax into it. Do both inside and out. This will darken the leather a bit but will keep it from soaking up moisture and holding it against the steel. Raw leather is sort of like a sponge. If it gets moisture laden (even just from very humid air) it will just hold the steel in contact with a moist surface - not good.

Try heating up the sheath with a heat gun and melting some beeswax into it. Do both inside and out. This will darken the leather a bit but will keep it from soaking up moisture and holding it against the steel. Raw leather is sort of like a sponge. If it gets moisture laden (even just from very humid air) it will just hold the steel in contact with a moist surface - not good.
SnowSeal is beeswax and some silicon.

Storing guns and knives in a leather or fabric holster/sheath has always been a bad idea. Store the leather somewhere else away from your valuable steel. As a retired gunsmith I have seen so many beautiful guns rusted horribly from people storing them in cases and holsters and cardboard boxes that absorb moisture from the air on a humid day and then trap it right next to the metal. Some types of leather are also tanned with acids that will atttack steel - and it will never stop. Holsters and sheaths are for carry and shipping and transport only - never storage.

Last edited:
Storing guns and knives in a leather or fabric holster/sheath has always been a bad idea. Store the leather somewhere else away from your valuable steel. As a retired gunsmith I have seen so many beautiful guns rusted horribly from people storing them in cases and holsters and cardboard boxes that absorb moisture from the air on a humid day and then trap it right next to the metal. Some types of leather are also tanned with acids that will atttack steel - and it will never stop. Holsters and sheaths are for carry and shipping and transport only - never storage.
Well you just kinda scared me by Mentioning cardboard.

I tend to make cardboard sheathes for storage of all my leather-sheathed knives. Think I just assumed it was a good material because I’ve seen it used but never really thought about how it might absorb/hold moisture… :/

How do you guys store your knives unsheathed??

I keep mine in a drawer in a tool cabinet. Shop around and buy a cheap tool cabinet. Harbor Freight has some for not much - I wouldn't load one down with heavy tools but it will hold knives. Watch garage sales.

Is it a leather sheath?

If so, that’s your problem. Plastic/Kydex will fix your issue. Leather will hold moisture/acids/etc and rust/corrode your blade.

Back