Prins

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by ilknives, Jan 13, 2020.

1. ilknives

ilknives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2017
    This blade is the first pattern-welded steel I made (well, apart from simple laminations). It has 768 theoretical layers, starting with 16 layers of 1080 and 15N20. Am hooked now. I made 3 patterns and this is the random one. I thought I might do something a bit different for this build: radiused bolster junctions and ceramic micro bearings running between 2x hardened steel washers and the blade. I made 2 jigs to get everything made as well, one for the bolsters' radii and one to hold titanium on the surface grinder.

I made some laminate especially for this knife with Ebony and resin.

It is a double detent folder. Titanium liners, - bolsters and - pins.

Thanks to Geoff Hague for the tips on the small (bloody tiny!) screws and how to thread the titanium with a tap slightly thicker than horsehair:) Check out his work, phenomenal.

OAL 154mm 6,06 inches
    Folded 93mm 3,66 inches
    Cutting edge 66mm 2,59 inches
    thickness 2,7mm 0,106 inch
    BESS 115g
    HRC 61-61
    Weight 50g 1,8 ounces

Thanks for looking, Ig

IMG_3993.jpg IMG_3982.jpg IMG_3984.jpg IMG_4004.jpg

2. seanj

seanj Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Very nice! I really like the way you did the bolster

ilknives likes this.
  3. ilknives

ilknives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2017
    @seanj thanks! I went for a flat hand rubbed finish instead of the mercurial shine (which I do like as well). The shaping of the bolsters was labour intensive but I needed to see if I could do it.:thumbsup:

Dawkind and seanj like this.
  4. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    nice design, looks very cool when closed.

Dawkind and ilknives like this.
  5. ilknives

Oct 19, 2017
    Thanks John, appreciate it! I’ll upload a pic of it showing the ‘waist line’, I think there is enough width so the spurs are not a practical issue, in the pocket I mean. 323427D2-3150-4FD0-8435-4F842CC45460.jpeg

AVigil, Mongo, Dawkind and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Neat like folder, great job...:cool:

ilknives likes this.
  7. ilknives

Oct 19, 2017
    Thank you, nice to hear from you, I

8. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Unique design...Great looking work !!

ilknives likes this.
  9. ilknives

Oct 19, 2017
    Thanks v much, appreciate the comment. I do try my own thing, good or bad!

10. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I like it! The contoured handles are a nice touch, kind of an ABS look.

ilknives likes this.
  11. ilknives

Oct 19, 2017
    Thank you v much. Halfway through those hours on them I thought: why am I doing this again? :)