1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Probably a Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Trout Hound, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Trout Hound

Trout Hound

Sep 28, 2014
    Okay, so what, exactly, defines an "equal end" knife? I was thinking it was just a knife where both ends were the same size and shape, as opposed to a swell end or sleeveboard, but now I'm confused. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Basically it means each end of the knife is the same shape.

3. Trout Hound

Trout Hound

Sep 28, 2014
    Ok, I just noticed on the GEC site that they call the 53 a "Cigar" pattern, but they call the 54 an "Equal End Cigar." Wouldn't they both be EE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Good question. Would a Canoe for example, be considered an equal end knife?

5. AShearer

AShearer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Good question given some examples that seem like they would be equal but not called that, at least in modern marketing. I too would like to know if there is an answer?

6. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Equal end is the generic term for the handle pattern, there are more specific sub-types which are also equal end. For example, a tuxedo is a type of swell center equal end (an equal end that has a thicker mid section).

7. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    That makes sense. Thanks Bartleby!

8. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Not a dumb question, thanks for bringing it up. I love this kinda stuff :)

9. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    You are most welcome!

10. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    At first I thought the answer was simply the obvious "if both ends are the same it is an equal end." But as per usual, the discussion convinced me that this is strangely not as simple as it seemed.

That is part of the fun of traditional knives, if you ask me. They are like standard measuremnts. Inches, feet, miles, ounces, pounds, quarts, gallons, etc. The only way to understand them is by using them all the time, because they don't make a lot of sense on their own. Traditional patterns, and what their names mean is the same kind of confusing mish-mash based in customary usage. :)

11. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    This is perfectly correct, and explains why a canoe isn't called an equal end, even though it might be. Canoe is more specific and descriptive, so wins out.

The GEC #53 and #54 patterns are exactly the same shape and size, so both are cigar patterns or equal end patterns. The difference is that #53s have cam tangs, and #54s have half stops with square tangs.

12. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp The Looking Edge Sharpening Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 30, 2016
    Yay! I learned something today.

13. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    My head aches[emoji6][emoji14][emoji20]🤙[emoji3]

14. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Nothing complicated about it, really. All handle patterns that are the same on both ends are equal end patterns. Particular shapes that are often used in the industry often get another name as well, especially if they resemble a common object like a cigar, a canoe, or a tuxedo etc.

15. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2013
    I typically think of equal end as the cigar pattern and both names are used interchangeably. Other patterns may exhibit ends that are symmetriclly equal, but those knives are generally called something else.

16. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Exactly.

17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Knife terminology can be arbitrary and confusing at times.

Here's a continuation question for this thread: What's The Best Equal End knife? Pictures should be most welcome....:)

Thanks, Will

Here's one of my favourites, the Stainless White Owl in Tan Bone. But, I know there are many other decent EEs for us to look at and comment on :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  18. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    That is a beauty, Will, the best White Owl ever, in my opinion. My favorite is of course, the bark ram's horn #53, but they've made many nice ones among the Cuban stockmen. The four stagbones would be my second faves: green mountain, carved pumpkin, river blue, and brimstone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    You've got some really nice 53's there, Jeff!

Beautiful White Owl too, Will!

20. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Rick, always appreciated!