Problem with Izula, is it me or the knife?

Discussion in 'ESEE KNIVES' started by choltzapple, Sep 19, 2010.

1. choltzapple

choltzapple

Apr 17, 2007
    First, a little background. I have an RC-4 that I've sharpened to a shaving sharp edge. I haven't had the opportunity to really use this knife since it's last sharpening (about a month ago) but it continually pops hair right off my arm without a problem. Just like it should.

Now my Izula, that's been sharpened the same way, will remove a bit of hair once or twice and then just stop shaving until I hit it with the ceramic rod again. I sharpen both knives the same way. I use DMT mini folding stone (red and green, whatever's needed) and a 4" long ceramic rod, both by hand. but the Izula just doesn't seem to keep the same edge. I've been wondering if maybe the different blade thickness means they should be sharpened a little differently to keep a good edge? Or is it possible that there might be something wrong with this Izula (I doubt it)?

2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm going to guess you have a wire edge on the Izula that folds after 1-2 cuts, then straightens back out as soon as you hit it with a rod.
    try cutting a bunch of cardboard or whittling a bit to knock off the wire then a few light strokes on a fine diamond or ceramic stick should make it good to go.

3. MikePerrin

MikePerrin

Feb 26, 2001
    If you continue to have problems send it back to us through the warranty and we will replace it. Mike

4. 357fan

357fan

May 23, 2009
    Try stropping the izula on the back of a leather belt. Hang the belt from a nail or hook, pull it tight and strop away. I would go about 10 times on each side, then 5, then 4, 3, 2, 1. That should polish off any wire edge you have going. Just make sure you get the whole edge.

5. brianNH

brianNH

Dec 16, 2002
    I was wondering the same thing about my Izula. My RC4 and Hest came very sharp and stay sharp. When they have gotten dull, I've been able to easily bring them back to shaving sharpness using my DMT aligner. This is not the case with my Izula. I can't get it sharp, and it dulls VERY quickly. I even convexed the edge and have gotten the same results. I would like to send it in but perhaps I've voided the warranty with the convex edge.

6. zyhano

zyhano

Dec 3, 2009
    Sounds like a sharpening problem to me...
    The other option is a veeeeerrrrry bad heat treat which seems highly unlikely.

Check for burrs and wire edges

7. mat_890

mat_890

Mar 19, 2010
    Hmmm

My Izula can't hold an edge to save its life either... It hasn't bothered me because I don't keep my edc sharp but the couple of times I have tried it just plain sucks.

I figured it was my lack of skill... Out of curiousity what # is your Izula? Maybe a bad batch.

I watched the youtube video where a guy shaves after carving through a 4x4 anyone's Izula hold that good of an edge?

8. luckykitty

luckykitty

May 14, 2009
    Well he uses his glove as a strop ... which works surprisingly well.

Though I must admit my Izulas differ. One I could get sharp easy and it keeps sharp. The other one, I needed to experiment, and I do get it shaving sharp but I need to strop more often. But the latter one is my edc, and I don't need that shaving sharpness all the time.
    The difference is small by the way, but noticeable.

9. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Banned BANNED

Aug 6, 2008
    like others have said, try stropping it after using the DMT, I use the DMT credit card size stones and I've only had to use the 600 grit and 1200 grit to bring back the edge after using it.....then I stropped it for a good 30 minutes, even number on both sides, and it's back to shaving sharp........neglect is the worst problem.......

10. Carolina River Rat

Carolina River Rat

Oct 29, 2008
    Mine gets freakishly sharp and stays that way. I would try stropping it and if that doesn't work, do as Mike suggested and get it replaced. ESEE has the best warranty out there and go above and beyond the call with customer service.

11. 333rm

333rm

Oct 17, 2009
    More than likely your getting a wire edge on your blade that's preventing you from getting it hair popping sharp. All you need to do is get a leather strop and some compound from knivesshipfree.com and I promise your Izula will be unbelieveably sharp! I ran into the same issue with mine when I first got it, and the strop quickly got rid of that issue. Knivesshipfree even has a quick tutorial video on how to propperly strop your knife.

12. choltzapple

choltzapple

Apr 17, 2007
    I thought it was a wire edge also, so I started lightly slicing into my cheap-o desk (where I usually sharpen) to remove anything like that. Then I use the ceramic rod for a bit and then one last swipe across the desk. It shaves, but not for long. I have also stropped it on a plain leather belt but that didn't seem to do much of anything. If it wasn't for the fact that my RC-4 stays super sharp using this exact same method and the Izula will continue to become more dull after light use I would agree wholeheartedly that either I or my equipment was at fault. As it is, I'm not so sure. I will try stropping it again, but the 4 doesn't need it to stay sharp so I would think the Izula wouldn't either.

Mike, thank you but that will be an absolute last resort. I am not quite convinced that there is nothing else I can do.

Mat_890, my Izula is numbered 6415.

13. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    WOW !! enough said...

above and beyond the call of duty..

I have a 5600model and it came poorly sharpened from the factory, but my 7000model was crazy sharp from factory..

one is a RAT the sharp one was ESEE, I've since reprofiled the edge and stripped the knife of the RAT and its probably the sharpest Izula out there other then RichardJ's;)

I say its time for a convex... that's just me though YMMV...

14. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    user error...

most people have problems sharpening thick small blades with a coating on them, for me a better relief edge and convex made all the difference in the world... as for 'bluntruth4u' video his edge's are ALL convexed..

15. Magus

Magus

Sep 10, 2010
    Can't say for certain because my 1st ever Izula is on its way to me.

However, I've found for some knives for that edge that you can't seem to quite get "there." A little leather stropping makes a big difference.

16. Jay S.

Jay S. Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Mine too. I was going to post about it but I figured no one would believe me! I made a bow drill, carved out a fireboard, shaved a bunch of sticks,etc; really went at it. Afterwards I checked the edge and it would still shave hair!:eek: I have cut more with it since and have still not sharpened it.

17. luckykitty

luckykitty

May 14, 2009
    Wow. My edc Izula definitely doesn't perform that good. And it came shaving sharp out of the box.

18. KNIFEABILITY

KNIFEABILITY

Mar 17, 2010
    Are you serious, for a rolled edge! He is not removing the burr, very common with carbon steel. You guys are unreal with customer service I continue to be amazed. Soon the warranty will be if your knife gets dull we will give you a new one.

19. mat_890

mat_890

Mar 19, 2010
    Your probably right, where I don't keep my main users razor sharp I rarely get a change to practice. I will bust it out tomorrow and see if I can do better.

20. choltzapple

choltzapple

Apr 17, 2007
    Actually I am removing the burr. The edge is not rolling as far as I can tell. I used a jeweller's loupe and can see that the edge is intact and there is no burr present.