Problems sharpening Waved Delica 4

I lent my friend/ex-friend my waved delica 4 to cut something, and I think he may have slightly rolled the edge, and he gave it back to me pretty blunted. I whipped out my sharpmaker and got it pretty sharp again, but there seems to be a problem spot on the blade, when I'm cutting paper to test the edge, it always gets caught/stuck on this spot on the blade and just rips the paper. Please help!!

It sounds like the edge is still rolled there. Try running your fingernail from the flat of the blade down to the edge on each side where it is sticking and see if you can feel any burr. It may also simply be a small nick in the edge which will be removed by an additional sharpening or two.

Worst case, just take a couple of light passes straight into the stone like you were trying to slice it in half. This should remove any weakened metal or burr, and you should be able to feel if there is a nick. Of course, that means starting over from scratch to put on a new edge. It wouldn't bother me (I'd use an extra-coarse diamond hone, so it would be a five minute job) but it might take a while on the SharpMaker, depending on how much steel you have to remove.

I also suggest using the sharpie trick. Just mark the entire edge on both sides with a dark marker. Do a few strokes on the stones and see where it is still dark. This will tell you whats going on.

Thanks for the advice guys, I did try the sharpie trick, and it does seem to be grinding at the right angle just missing a little bit right at the tip of the knife. I think yablanowitz is right, and I probably just have to sharpen it a couple more times. yablanowitz, I also tried reprofiling the blade at 30 degrees inclusive with the brown rods, but it seems my efforts did nothing, is VG-10 pretty hard to work with, cause from what I've read most people seem to like it? I'm thinking of getting a couple diamond stones, any recommendations?

VG-10 is not particularly hard to work with, but the SharpMaker is not what I consider the ideal tool for hogging off a lot of metal. The diamond rods will speed the process, but a lot of folks seem to wrap sandpaper around the rods and clip it in place to give them more bite. Since I was freehanding on bench stones before Sal invented the SharpMaker, that is how I still do it. I generally use the DMT Coarse DuoSharp bench hone or the DMT Extra-Coarse DuoFold pocket hone, depending on how much steel I need to remove. Even a cheap coarse carborundum stone from the hardware store will work. If you need the angle guidance of the SharpMaker, you can get one of those stones and lean it up against the SharpMaker rod, then hold the blade vertical as you normally would.

Back