Problems with Craford's Rolling Lock?

I was wondering if owners of Pat Crawford's Carnivore have experienced problems with the lock. If so, maybe the lock design is simply flawed. If not, it does sound like a quality control issue.

There is no lock problems. To read this forum one would think that the failure rate of the rolling lock had to be some where in the 70 to 80% range. Reality is, I have had fewer that 20 knives come back this year for all type of repairs. We even tried to track down the knives said to have failed right out of the tube. We did not get them back nor could we find any dealers that had taken them back. Less than 1% of the Sifus that have gone out have come back. The few Sifus that have come back that would not stay locked either had part of the lock sheared away form being hit very hard or modified, except one. Does one knife out of thousands indicate that we have a design problem or that our QC is bad? We have stated in numerous posts what our return rate is and has not changed since day one.
It doesn’t seem to make any difference how many times we state these facts. Someone always finds something else to jump on us about. Before this one, it was poor fit and finish, or was it gritty actions? Can’t forget those pocket clips under the pivot screw. Fit and finish is getting better, the actions are getting smoother and the new knife we make today has the pocket clip under the pivot.
Has anyone seen one of the Savants? It took us five years to get to a knife of that quality. I have had people at shows ask: “When did we start selling someone else’s knives?” The Savants are that good and we have yet to see a positive word about them on this forum. We feel that the forum may be doing more harm than good which is why we are closing the forum. So where does that leave Round Eye Knife & Tool and why is the web site still down? We have been concentrating the tool part of REKAT (all I can say at this time is we are not building some fold up thing; it is not even knife related). As for the knife part, we’re still hard at it -- there are new models on the board. No release dates on the knives, last time we did that we got crucified for having some setbacks. We may or may not be back here, time will tell.
Bob Brothers

I wish you only the best Bob and hope that things go well for REKAT. It does seem that you guys took it on the chin a lot around here. I have not seen the Savant, but I am sure that it is a good knife. You make some darn good knives. The Carnivour is the only one that I have owned, but it was a very good knife. Sold it awhile back and still kind of miss it.

Take time to visit once in awhile. You are still welcome on these forums.

well, just my experience - in about april of '01 i purchased a spec ed smooth handle sifu from 1SKS, for $149 plus s and h - had the knife for about 3 weeks, and was playing around w/it one evening after shaprpening it, was practicing opening it if memory serves, and it closed up on me, cutting my finger fairly badly-upon closer examination, the lock was not locking at all - called 1SKS who gave me your em address and ya said to send it in, which i did, ya fixed it, - BUT the knife was not modified in any way,nor ever spine whacked, didnt eeven know what that was then, really hardly used at all, certainly not abused in any shape or form and ya fixed it, it appeared to me, by polishing the hinge end of the blade (which was now shiny, previously was black) and whatever ya did inside the knife - maybe i'm wrong but i think ya said it required fitting or something - would look at the email, but my PC crashed last week and i lost all my old email - but anyway, it does work fine now, thanks, and believe it or not i didnt even belong to bladeforums then, had heard about the knife in combat handguns magazine, and i think i did a search on the web for sifu, but anyway was several weeks before i started to check out BF - anyway, just for the record - i presume my knife was the one mentioned by bob? i live in round rock texas, remember me?? (really wonder if my luck is that bad lol, not trying top be an a$$hole i swear, i really wonder if it was mine)

sorry ya choose to close her up, but imho ya shoulda had a presence on your own forum, but we have all been over that

good luck to ya, best wishes

sifu

Originally posted by Bob Brothers
There is no lock problems.

I agree, the lock on the REKATs I've handled have worked fine.

The few Sifus that have come back that would not stay locked either had part of the lock sheared away form being hit very hard or modified, except one. [/QUOTE]

If people's idea of spine whacking is so hard that it breaks parts, that is abuse. I hit mine much more softly on a non marring surface.

Has anyone seen one of the Savants? It took us five years to get to a knife of that quality. I have had people at shows ask: “When did we start selling someone else’s knives?” The Savants are that good and we have yet to see a positive word about them on this forum. [/QUOTE]

I haven't. No shop near me carries REKAT products. I only know of three outlets for REKAT knives: 1) Internet, 2) Gunshows (seldom), and 3) a knife shop in Cary, NC (I live in Northern Va). $110 is too much to gamble that the knives *might* be better. I'd like to see a Savant. I like to think it's head and shoulders above my Pioneer. However, I'm afraid I'll have to do the same work on it that I did on my Pioneer. I'm not taking a risk with my money right now.

Chris

Seems too late to post here now, but I had a Crawford Carnivore, and the lock was superb on it. Pat took the time to polish the blade tang on that knife, and the action was smooth and positive.

When there was more traffic on this forum, I used to come by every now and then to praise my Pioneers or Sifus. I have been as hard or harder than anyone on my Rolling Lock knives, and have been extremely pleased with them. Very pleased with the ergonomics too. I don't care if the action is gritty, never have. That's why I don't have a Savant. I like my Pioneer II just fine.

Have not been here as much recently because it is mostly people grumbling because no one from REKAT is answering their questions. The Internet is full of people with no manners. That is unfortunate, but some manufacturers have been successful there. Mostly those who know you have to keep communicating a positive message about your products. It is a different environment. Too bad we didn't have a REKAT rep in here more often to tell us about the Savant, post some high resolution pictures, answer detailed questions about the differences between it and the Pioneer II.

I'm truly sorry to see REKAT close down the Forum, I have always enjoyed coming here. Bob, you and the rest of the REKAT family have treated me very well and have gone above and beyond what is expected of a knife company regarding my warranties. Thank you. I hope to see your presence back here at Bladeforums again- soon.

I too will be sorry to see this forum close. I believe it is important for consumers to be able to voice their opinions, good or bad. It is also important for manufacturers to know what they are doing right and what needs to be improved.

I send written surveys to my clients every year to assess the quality of the service I have provided each year. If there are areas in which I need to improve, I need to know that. If I receive criticism, I have to take it as constructive. If I become defensive, however, I have missed an opportunity to improve. It is also nice to hear the praise for a job well done.

It seems to me these forums benefit everyone.

Back