Problems with shear cut steel warping?

ive recently started using A2, better yet tried using.. Ive heat treated 5 different knife blanks that I made from stock removal and every one had an insanely nasty warp in it.. the first 3 were beveled to a .02” edge and plate quenched, the 4th and 5th were just profiled, 4 was plate quenched and 5 was quenched in still air in garage at 40 degrees ambient. Heat treat was in oven foil wrapped at 1225 for 5 minutes, 1400 for 5 minutes, 1750 for 35 minutes then quench.

I’ve asked some friends for input and from what we’ve gathered is that maybe the steel was shear cut and causing my issue of a bad warp? I’m talking an 8” knife and in the middle would be over a 1/16” gap when I lay it on glass.. the picture below is of a blank that was half warp corrected during a temper.. any help is appreciated as to why all my A2 is warping!

Try a 2 hour 1200F stress relief cycle before you do anything to the steel. It will help to prevent this sort of thing.

That's my favorite reply too . my experience as a metallurgist especially in steel mills taught me all the various ways they can stress , thus warp a piece of steel. the most convenient way to remove the stresses is to use the 'subcritical anneal ' /'stress relief ' of 1200F

Thank you, when I do this do I throw the blades in, ramp up and hold for 10 minutes or so then shut the kiln off and leave them in?

That's not critical .Just put the steel in the furnace and take it out two hours later

Back