Problems

I've done a bit of reading about throwing on the web and such and leafed through a book or two. Currently I have two cold steel throwers each around 10".. they are center balanced. I started throwing by the handle when I had my ka-bar because of its bowie point and I have done a little blade grip throwing but I still favor the handle.

With a lot of concentration and a fair bit of luck I can make the blade stick standing at what I reason to be around 11.5 feet (using the handle grip) at the blade grip I usually stand at around 8.5 feet. My problem is I just can't make it stick that often. I think I may be throwing it too hard...

Should I adjust the force of my throw to compensate for my distance or adjust my distance to compensate for force?

I've heard that blade grip is better than handle, is this a matter of preferance?

Should I invest in some different knives? I bought the Cold Steel ones after I snapped my ka-bar (I still cry at night) because of their unbending Carbon V steel. I don't have too much money to spend on custom knives, but I did see a nice thrower at H&B.. what kind of throwers do you guys favor? Can you tell me if the H&B one is any good?

Wisdom of the ages.. anything in particular you want to pass on to a newbie?

At what point of the arc of you arm are you relesing?
I release as soon as my hand goes past the first bit of my periphrial vision.

I never really thought of that.. I release when my (right) hand is roughly as far as my forward (left) foot.. just over shoulder level and just a little bit before my arm is fully extended (about 40 degrees).. that sounds to be considerably later than your release

Back