Product of several minds and many hands

I was wondering if there ever has been a knife that was made by a coalition of knifemakers. Not too many, of course. Maybe, three or four.

This would mean a small group of knifemakers coming together and having a brain-storming session. The result would be a design conceived on paper with all the relevant details and finally becoming a reality in a workshop where the different makers doing different parts of the knife and then putting all the parts together.

Now, that would be quite a project, wouldn't it?

Has it been tried before?

Many examples.
Board of Directors knife (ABS)
Joe Szilaski and Ed Fowler
Liong Mah design
It's not too uncommon to collaborate in making of a knife.

Here is a pic of a collaboration in-progress between Ron Newton and John Fitch. Ron forged the Fillicietti-style "finger" mosaic damascus billet from 01 and 15n20, then John forged and flat-ground the blades:

orig.jpg

The knives are back with Ron to fabricate the guards and then they return to John for the handles. The final step will be for Ron to make silver sheaths for the pair. I feel safe in predicting that the final results will be most drool-worthy.

Cheers,

Roger

(pic by Newton)

There have been a number of great collaborations on knives that i have seen in the past. There is one soon to be in the works by 3 of Canada's top makers. Brian Lyttle, Brian Tighe, and Wolfgang Loerchner are going to be making a collaboration piece that i believe will be auctioned off at the 10th anniversary CKG show next April if all goes well. I can't wait to see this one. Or even better, maybe take it home with me!!!

Yeah there have been some nice collaborations done in the past, and as a "Consumer" I think it's neat. I'm not sure how it works for making a living as a full time maker.., but I sure appreciate seeing what talented minds can come up with..

I remember seeing a knife a while back that was a collaboration between Jerry Fisk and Bill Moran. Man would I love to own that one.

Kit Carson along with his son Jody and son in law Mike Obenauf have a collab coming out soon. The Grooved GT framelock. Each worked on the design and production. They haven't decided how to mark the knife yet but I'm partial to Vine Grove Knifeworks.;)

attachment.php

Samhell,

That's one fine looking piece of cutlery.

Limsk

Originally posted by samhell
Kit Carson along with his son Jody and son in law Mike Obenauf have a collab coming out soon. The Grooved GT framelock. Each worked on the design and production. They haven't decided how to mark the knife yet but I'm partial to Vine Grove Knifeworks.;)

Originally posted by Lambert Knives
There have been a number of great collaborations on knives that i have seen in the past. There is one soon to be in the works by 3 of Canada's top makers. Brian Lyttle, Brian Tighe, and Wolfgang Loerchner are going to be making a collaboration piece that i believe will be auctioned off at the 10th anniversary CKG show next April if all goes well. I can't wait to see this one. Or even better, maybe take it home with me!!!

Hey Kirby...nice to see you on the boards...

yes, that will be a good one! The CKG puts out a "collaboration" every show (at least every April show)...I believe they are raffled off at the end of the show (and the person who SOLD the winning ticket also gets a knife!)

Here's the collab from the last April show:

standard

RL

Golok,
Here's a collaboration I was fortunate enough to purchase at auction earlier this year

fivemsbowie2003.jpg

The knife was made by five Mastersmiths at the ABS West hammer-in.

The makers:
Red St. Cyr, M.S. (2000) - damascus (hand hammered!)
Jame Batson, M.S. (1993) - forging
Greg Neely, M.S. (1993) - grinding
Charles Ochs III, M.S. (1989) - heat-treating
Scott Taylor, M.S. (2002) - handle, finishing

Another related thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264018&highlight=collaboration

Nice pick-up Wulf!

Here is this years A.B.S. Board of Directors Knife -
attachment.php

The Southwestern style Bowie with a 12 inch plus Blade was Forged of 5160 Steel by Bill Moran
Jerry Fisk - Grinding of blade.
Bert Gaston - Heat treat of blade (martempering method used).
Greg Neely - Finishing of blade.
Rick Dunkerley - Fashioned guard. Used mild steel: File worked & blued.
Joe Keeslar - Made handle & collar. Handle is elephant ivory donated by TOMB.
Jay Hendrickson - Made leather covered wood sheath.
James Batson - Fashioned throat & tip from mild steel which in turn file worked & blued by Rick Dunkerley to match guard

Attachments

• board03.jpg
    board03.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 255
I'm loving these knives and pics and stories! Thanks! :D

I am in the process of photographing a series of knives by some VERY prominent knifemakers. (I mean top-shelf!) They all will feature the damascus of Jerry Rados in their own interpretation of style--and ALL are aware of the project and so are each doing a fantastic job.

I'd tell you more, but I'd have to kill ya'.... :footinmou ;)

Coop

Originally posted by Blade747
I am in the process of photographing a series of knives by some VERY prominent knifemakers. (I mean top-shelf!) They all will feature the damascus of Jerry Rados in their own interpretation of style--and ALL are aware of the project and so are each doing a fantastic job.

I'd tell you more, but I'd have to kill ya'.... :footinmou ;)

Coop

Yeah right, get us all hot to know more and then just leave us hanging. TEASE!!!
cuss.gif
licky.gif

Originally posted by Keith Montgomery
RL, who were the makers that collaborated on that knife? It is one heck of a knife.

KWM, I'm not sure about the details but the following makers were involved:

Brian Lyttle
Christoph Derringer
Ed Storch
Thomas Haslinger
George Tichbourne

RL

Originally posted by Lambert Knives
...maybe take it home with me!....

And then how do I get it back? ;) ;) ;)

(Nice to see you here on a regular basis, Kirby! BTW, would my "Gentleman's Folder" count as a "collaboration"?)

Golok, I like the idea of collaborations. I have a few on order: 2 Fitch/Crowell, a Walker/Fisk, and a Wheeler/Knight. I think if you "pick" the right makers with a reasonable agreed upon price, they will be good investments. Their styles should coincide with each other.

There is the Jerry Hossom/Tom Mayo one, and the Blade west bastard; which had Mick Strider, Tom Mayo, Trace Rinaldi, Eric, Paul Bos involved in it.

Originally posted by cockroachfarm
BTW, would my "Gentleman's Folder" count as a "collaboration"?)

...and my Mad Dog/Bladerigger????

RL

Cockroach, I guess the gents folder you purchased from me could somewhat be considered a collaboration piece in that Brian Lyttle did the engraving. Also, he and I made the damascus togeher. But the over kinfe and design of the knife was made by myself.

Back