1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Production Kephart or Hiking Buddy?

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by cbach8tw, Aug 5, 2018.

1. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Looking at the production versions, which would you pick and why? Both good knives, the handles comparable too? I like the overall shape of the Kephart, but the little bit more curve near the tip of the blade of the HB makes me think it would be more handy. Help a fellow out here with your ideas or opinions. Thanks.

Fiddleback likes this.
  2. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    I had this same predicament @cbach8tw @Bmurray raves about the pro kephart. I have handmade versions but had to see how the unbuffed grip felt like. So I got one. Then followed directly with a pro HB. They are both on my shelf with my other users. I tend to grab that kephart for work around the property. Why? My hands do well with this size. The HB has worked well too. Get both!!! Sorry. No help and just a bad influence. :D

Fiddleback likes this.
  3. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    pro-kephart all the way, unless you're looking for a pocket carry. The PK has the best user grip in the knife industry and I'll challenge anyone to use it for a month and argue differently. If you want to try one out before you buy, just shoot me a pm with your info and I'll send it your way.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  4. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks Bmurray I will think about your offer if I decide to get one. Much appreciated. Keep them coming.

5. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    I've had both but I let the pro kep go. Both are great knives but I prefer to pocket carry. My pro HB lives in my fire kit and gets used for every fire i start. Great grip in rain and snow. The pro kep has a larger more comfortable handle.

Fiddleback, Bmurray and VANCE like this.
  6. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks.

7. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    To me the choice is about whether you need a smaller knife for hiking, etc, or more of a full size all around knife. They are so different its hard to compare. Your intended function is the key.

8. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Probably just basic chores around camp site and not want it to be too big carrying around when hiking, bet the HB and a Swiss Army knife would be a good quick combo for my needs. As I have said, my needs are different than others.

NoRest likes this.
  9. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    This is weird timing, just claimed a prod HB on the exchange!!

Bmurray likes this.
  10. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I think the answer is moot as once you get the first one, you're certain to realize you needed the other one. The real question is Duke/Kephart or Kephart/Hiking Buddy. If you're doing fire prep, Duke/Kephart, more food/cooking prep, Kephart/Hiking Buddy.

Choppaman and Bmurray like this.
  11. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Small chores, more just looking cool around the camp fire........kidding of course. Small jobs and cutting things.

Bmurray likes this.
  12. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    Congrats. The two designs compliment each other well.

13. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    It was meant to be, a prod HB came up and it called my name. Got it now to have some adventures, at least gain some more experience using it.

wildmanh, Bmurray and VANCE like this.
  14. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 9, 2000
    Congrats! After you have a chance to use it, consider the Kephart. It's a favorite of mine. I pair it with a EDKarda and 12" Machete. Would like to have a Hiking buddy some day.

Got pictures of your new blade?

15. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    No pictures yet, still in transit. Is it Christmas morning yet?

wildmanh and VANCE like this.