Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

Closest I've ever had to a user "bowie" was a Becker BK7. It loses in the chopping category to the 9 and loses to the 5 for general camp/bushcraft/utility but only in the popular vote.
I found it to be a damn nice all around knife.

6.5" to 7" works for me :eek:.

:D
I'm really liking the idea of a 6-7" functional Bowie. I'm working on a 7" (tip to guard) that I'm really warming up to. It should be done in a few days.

We need to pick a direction, a functional 6-7" or a stabby 9+".

We can start Polls mid thread now, maybe I'll add one with blade lengths from 5-10" with up to two choices allowed.

6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 (six).............

Sheldon's probably right about 6" blade being the most versatile. But when it comes to the looks of Bowie I like a little longer blade, I voted for 7" and 9" Simply because I think the look nicer and no other reason.

I'm thinking about it...

RKS_4.jpg

These were the two versions of the fourth Randall Knife Society club knives, with 8" blades. They dropped the blade length to 6" for the non-catalog knife shown above with the white handle...

I also chose 7 and 9. Somewhere in that range is long enough to give the curves a chance to shine. Too short and it just looks wrong to my eyes.
Too long and it won't be carried.

I'm not voting, but I think I'd go with 7.

Dopic1 Dopic1 how did that dangler sheath on the Virge work out? That blade was around 9" and it was too long to draw from a normal belt sheath without being a contortionist. The dangler at least gave some range to draw it.

Like you say Mack, too long and it won't be carried. I'll do some sheath research.

I'm not voting, but I think I'd go with 7.

Dopic1 Dopic1 how did that dangler sheath on the Virge work out? That blade was around 9" and it was too long to draw from a normal belt sheath without being a contortionist. The dangler at least gave some range to draw it.

Like you say Mack, too long and it won't be carried. I'll do some sheath research.
The dangle sheath is great it was a little tight at first but loosened up over time, I just need to wear a heavy belt with it, it draws just fine now.

As long as that blade was I guess it didn't really need much retention. A crossdraw might be nice, maybe I'll try one on the blade I'm finishing now.

John, if you're going to go long and thin, if not Dundee, the knife handle will prolly need to be angled and down; crossdraw or drop leg. It's a weird fit, but works.

Crossdraw might be the way to go. Looks like 7" is where we're at for blade length.

Are we agreed on a double guard? I'm thinking a slight forward curve above the spine and a longer backward curve below.

Crossdraw might be the way to go. Looks like 7" is where we're at for blade length.

Are we agreed on a double guard? I'm thinking a slight forward curve above the spine and a longer backward curve below.
I think it looks best and balanced with a double guard. The reverse S shape would be appropriate. :thumbsup:

How much of a blade notch do we want in front of the guard? A long ricasso looks classic on a Bowie I think.

Happy Father's Day Dennis!

Not sure Tim, I'm always game for a leather stack. We'll have to change the poll up for handle materials maybe. Happy Fathers Day, we should have gone fishin.

Guard material and handle pretty much go hand in hand. Do we want to go Nickel or Bronze?

Nickel S guard, black sheath, contrasting handle material - would be a thought.

Back