Project Knife -- Imperial (Prov. R.I.) BSA

I have recently picked up an old Imperial (Prov. R.I.) four-blade knife.

On the main spear point blade is the etch: "Official Knife" across the top, "Boy Scouts Of America" below, with the Fleur de Lis & Eagle Boy Scout emblem in the middle.

The knife is all original. It has both scales -- smooth, red plastic -- with no pieces missing. The obverse scale has most of the original Boy Scout emblem intact.

It has the hook style can opener. None of the blades are damaged. The springs have plenty of life in them. The original bail is still firmly attached.

There is, however, some evidence of lateral stress in the sides which has caused some distortion, resulting in some blade play, such that it's possible to close the punch blade and main blade on the wrong sides on one another.

It is, in short, a good example of the type, needing some TLC to restore it to full operational status.

I have not the skills, the tools, nor the time for such a project. Nonetheless, I will not throw out a knife that harks back to the time when it was expected of a man that he carry a knife at all times, and expected of a growing boy that he learn the proper use and care of a knife.

Therefore . . .

If there is among you someone who is willing to undertake this as a project, I will happily send the knife to you for recovery and restoration, that you may then gift it to a worthy youth -- or to someone raising such a worthy youth -- so that the tradition may be passed forward and kept alive.

All I ask is that you post a photo spread of the project to share with the rest of us.

So, lads, who wants this job, this trust, this office?

(If you like, I'll hit it with a camera, though that won't be today.)

Anyone?

a pic is always welcome, and while I would love to fix this up and give it away, I think there are more skilled hands available over at the knifemakers forum

Back