Jul 19, 1999
This is sort of a newbie question but how do you pronounce Gerber? Is it G as in George or G as in Girl?
Also how do you pronounce Grande as in Cold Steel Vaquero Grande? Is it Gran-day or Grande like in French?
One more: the word choil. Is it coil or is it a hard ch as in chill? I know what it means just can't pronounce it right.


The G in Gerber is the same as Girl. Grande as in Spanish(or French?) I have always wondered about choil though. And I think it's Bu-(as in BUtane)-sse
Busse is pronounced as "Bus-E" according to their website.

As to Gerber, I thought it was always pronounced like the baby food? With the "G" as in "gee".

Choil should sound like "coil".

Funny, I've only ever met folks who say "ch-oil" and "sh-oil," never "c-oil." Pronounce Terzuola. Now Viele.

Incidentally, even though we "pronounce" words, the noun form is "pronunciation"

-Drew Gleason
Little Bear Knives
The G in Gerber IS like the baby food! as in Girl. Grande is like the Spanish. Choil is "ch" as in chili, -oil.
Can anyone clarify what the definition of "is" is?

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
Nice site fullerh! I added it to my favorites. So a choil is actually something cut out for a finger.

To clarify on what AG Russel has to say about the choil, it's at the base of the blade, above the gaurd, not on the handle.

Some are real real small, and some are big enough to rest a finger on to choke up on the blade. Smaller ones are usualy there to help when sharpening on a flat stone.

Then there's the ricasso, which is a untapered, unsharpened area at the base of the blade which may be miniscule like on many pocket knives, or it maye be big enough to get your whole hand on, like on some European swords.

On the swords, the ricasso allowed you to "finger the blade"(you're a pervert for think'n it), which is to say you wrap your index finger around the gaurd to add extra control in a thrust, it can also be used as a second handhold on some swords, like a zweihander, or it can be used to parry, like on longswords.

And it's "Va-Kay-roe Gr-on-day"
Um, as per my understanding only, it's not a choil unless it is specifically large enough and so designed that the finger can be hooked in it. Also, the ricasso refers to the entire unground base of the blade, not just the bottom edge. Many makers and companies put their markings on the ricasso.

But what do I know? This thread is getting me more confused than ever... at least I have been pronouncing Viele correctly...

Do you mean "bottom edge" in the sense of the edge you'd cut with, as opposed to back edge or swedge?

Or do you mean in the sense of just a thin little unsharpened area?

Either way, I'm talking the entire unsharpened area, like you said. I just said "base of blade" because if it's lower than that it's a handle, and if it's at the tip of the blade something's really wrong...

I think you're technicaly right about the choil, however I've seen makers who call a little semicircular, and I mean maybe 1/8 an inch, cutout a "choil". I think Chris Reeve does.

I also seem to remember a blueprint reading course I took that suggested that a choil is something different to machinists and weldors than it is to bladesmiths.