Propane Burner

I need help making a propane burner for the forge I plan to construct. I have looked around the internet and haven't really found anything I liked. Does anyone have simple plans for building such a thing??

Thanks alot!

This is probably the simplest design that I've come across. http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html
And, being a simpleton, I built one in less than an hour. It's the only burner I've ever built, it's the first burner I've ever built, and it's probably going to be the last burner I'll ever need. After a little tweaking my forge was reaching 2000 degrees without so much as a hiccup. Good luck with whichever design you go with.
-Mark

Hi blitz,
Try tracking down Zoeller Forge and take a look at the side arm burner. Then try elliscustomknifeworks. I think those will help.
Take care, Craig

Indian George's burner design (see his web-site) is ez to build and has worked well for me in my very brief experience

The burner I build now I use a Tee Fitting instead of the elbow. This whay you do not have to weld the 1/4 NPT pipe to the elbow. All I do now is drill and tap 1/4 NPT threads in the end cap. If you need help feel free to call or Email me.:D ;) :thumbup:

Can I use regular old red fire brick for this? It seems that these white soft bricks aren't really available anywhere around here.

Do you have any ceramic supply stores near where you live? If you find someplace that repairs, sells or builds ceramic or glass kilns, you're in business. Regular brick will not withstand the kinds of temps you're gonna generate.
-Mark

Check your yellow pages for a brick yard or a coal stove dealer. I get mine from a brickyard and I use the hi-temp hard firebrick.

This is probably the simplest design that I've come across. http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html
And, being a simpleton, I built one in less than an hour. It's the only burner I've ever built, it's the first burner I've ever built, and it's probably going to be the last burner I'll ever need. After a little tweaking my forge was reaching 2000 degrees without so much as a hiccup. Good luck with whichever design you go with.
-Mark

Polish Avenger,

Have you welded with this burner set up?

Would it work for when i'm ready to try my hand a damascus?

My peak temp so far is 2200. I think a refractory cement coating or possibly satanite over my ceramic wool will help boost that number, though. I'm not ready to think about it yet as I'm nowhere near confident enough in my abilities with plain-jane steel to attempt damascus. I must walk before I run.
-Mark

Look at I. George's burner, and also have a look at the tutorial on Don Fogg's site. They are quite similar, but Don's goes without the gate valve. Both can be done with zero drilling or welding if you find the right T-fittings and bushings.

John

i like the indian george burner. its working great for me and so easy to adjust. if i were you i would just use indian georges burner. $50 in plumbing parts plus a blower of some sort. the more expensive part about the burner is the propane assembly including the regulator, POL fitting, needle valve, ball valve and 5'-10' hose. indian georges burner is so easy to put together and is so simple but yet so effective.

Back