Prototype Yanagiba

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi guys. I thought I would share a few pictures of a prototype yanagiba that I have been working on.

I've been wanting to make a yanagiba for some time, but just never seemed to get around to it.

These are extremely time consuming to make! Getting the handle fit correct is a major undertaking alone!

The side opposite the primary grind features a urasuki grind. This is essentially a full height hollow grind across the entire length and width of the blade. This increases performance, but is a little tricky to get right.

The blade is differentially heat treated 1095. There is a very nice hamon, but the light wasn't cooperating today.

I hand rubbed the entire blade to a very nice satin finish. I'm very pleased with how this came out.

The handle is honduran rosewood that has been buffed. I'm generally not a fan of wood, but really like how this came out.

The blade is about 13" OAL with and actual cutting edge of about 8".

This was a fun project, and I'm sure I'll be making more!

Sushi.JPG

Sushi2.JPG

Smoking hot! :cool:

Super clean, very nice job on one the toughest knives there is to make.

Thanks Daniel!

I agree; making a yanagiba is no easy task!

The makers in Japan who produce these on a daily basis are incredibly skilled!

More are on they way!

Looking good!

If you need a guini pig to test these on fish and rolls ill take the bullet ;)

Any plans for 300mm edge?

Thanks!

Yes, future versions will be in the 300mm range and likely stainless.

11" - 12" blades seem to be popular for this kind of knife, so I'm not sure if I will make an 8" again.

Ah ok.

I will be looking for carbon version. Stainless is not desirable.

looks great though!

Ah ok.

I will be looking for carbon version. Stainless is not desirable.

looks great though!

Carbon versions will still be available.

I've received a lot of requests for a stainless version, so I'm trying to accommodate everyone.

I'm a big fan of carbon steel for pretty much anything, but some people don't seem to like the natural patina that develops.

Back