Pulaski recommendations?

MacHete

Hair Cropper & Chipmunk Wrangler
Many, many years ago, when I trained for wildfire fighting, I fell in love with pulaskis. Almost all of our handtools were by Council, so I am familiar with their model. I am now living on a little bit of acreage on a steep, rocky hillside, and these tired old bones would benefit from having some trails cut into that hillside before they are too old to make it.

So, I ask the knowledgable folks here- who makes a good pulaski? None of my local hardware/garden stores seem to stock them, and specs are hard to come by when shopping online. I would prefer one with a wider grub hoe if that exists.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I would prefer one with a wider grub hoe if that exists.

I haven't seen one with a wide grub hoe. For that I'd suggest you look into a cutter mattock (axe mattock). For Pulaskis consider buying one off of the internet auction site. I've seen some nice ones on there. For new Pulaskis check out:

Pacific Forest Supply
http://www.pacforestsupply.com/index.php?cPath=92_114&osCsid=hfabfounqqnb37mncocqjd01g0

or

Forestry Suppliers
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/icat/Cat63/full.asp?page=147

Not sure when it happened but the FS spec seemed to have changed at some point. The newer ones have a wider hoe.
001.JPG

Left to right,True Temper FSS, True American Mann FS, Kelly worlds Finest FS and True Temper Flint edge, BLM, USFS and CFC. I have no idea what CFC stands for. I come across a bunch for $5 a piece. I have given a few away but it seems that the later ones had a bigger hoe. I would get used myself. Hope it helped some.

...I would prefer one with a wider grub hoe if that exists...

This one is extra-wide (5"), on a German-made cutter mattock:

53648.jpg

I don't have one of these, but I've seen them for sales at Earthtoolsbcs.

Last edited:
This is a good question for 42blades, I hope he stops bye.

I'm sure that some of the currently produced mattocks and wide pulaskis will be fine as a grubbing tool. If you want the axe side to be a performer, the only modern, quality tool THAT I KNOW OF is the Council pulaski. Even better is a vintage pulaski from Kelly, Collins or the like.

Thanks, guys!

I checked out those links, Square_peg. I am really not liking the looks of the 90 degree twist on the modern Council's head. Is that common practice now?

garry3- I like both of the True Tempers in your photo. Do they still make 'em like that?

This one is extra-wide (5"), on a German-made cutter mattock:

53648.jpg

WOW! That is wider. Makes me wonder if it would make using the cutter side unwieldly?

I never thought to check the auction site. Don't know why, because I've bought lots of vintage machete's there to refurbish. I will check that out, and I'll try to find more details from manufacturer's sites. I'll start with True Temper.

Thanks again!

I like rogue hoes for trailwork. They don't have an axe end but I've never found that an issue in cutting trail. Plenty of other tools in hand usually.

Heck, most any old FSS Pulaski would serve you well.
That auction site usually has a few True Tempers and Collins ones.

Thanks, guys!

I checked out those links, Square_peg. I am really not liking the looks of the 90 degree twist on the modern Council's head. Is that common

Thanks again!

Council tools has an fss grade that dose not have a twisted hoe and they are pretty good stuff I use them at my work all the time.

This is a good question for 42blades, I hope he stops bye.

I'm sure that some of the currently produced mattocks and wide pulaskis will be fine as a grubbing tool. If you want the axe side to be a performer, the only modern, quality tool THAT I KNOW OF is the Council pulaski. Even better is a vintage pulaski from Kelly, Collins or the like.

Not much to add to the conversation, actually, other than to reinforce that the way to go with modern Pulaskis is Council and that looking into cutter mattocks might be a good thought. Easy Digging carries rare 3lb. mattocks (both pick and cutter types) by Tramontina with the option for a 45" extra long handle. They dress the eyes, too, and the handle on my pick mattock had grain straight as an arrow and in direct alignment to boot!

Back