PUMA identification

I have a PUMA which I have never seen listed, even in PUMA brochure.
Have had for over 20+ years. Knife size: 9" LOA, Blade 4 3/8"
Markings on blade: ECHTER PUMASTER STAHL
On other side: PUMA Solingen Made in Germany
And across the blade (same side): HANDARBEIT

Whould include a photo if I knew how (any suggestions)
Any help, information, value or other data appreciated.
For lack of a better descrption, I would refer to it as a "BLACKFOREST" Bavarian type.

A photo would definitely help, though I can't post here.

I don't speak German (my brother could help there), but I believe if it says Pumaster it is a carbon steel. They used a great carbon steel, it holds a very good edge. Handarbeit means hand made.

Can you compare the blade and handle shape to another Puma model? Is it like the White Hunter, Outdoors, etc.?

There are others lurking on this forum who would be much better at identifying your knife than I am.

Echter Pumaster Stahl: Genuine "Pumaster" Steel

Is Pumaster the same as the steel that Puma currently uses?

Like I said, there are others who would be better at identifying the knife, but to answer the last question, Pumaster is the name used for the carbon steel, a very well done (good heat treat) steel. It has been around for a while.

I think they have a couple of different stainless steels they use, although I am not sure what style of knife uses which stainless. I have the DIN numbers at home.

In my pocket right now is a Prospector (no longer made), a single blade slip joint with jacaranda wood scales, a very nice one. It is stainless, and the blade reads "New Stainless Super Keen Cutting Steel." It was bought new in 1986. All of my stainless Pumas say this on the blade. They did an excellent heat treat of this steel.

go to my website "WWW.Pumaonly.com". I have most of the post waar Puma's shown there.

ken

Thank you, Ken. You SURE DO have a inventory of Pumas !!
I did not find MY knife in your collection, but, could have not hit the right button. The closest was your 3591 Gamekeeper. The only obvious difference being that mine does not have folding blades in the handle, just stag scales. Other than that it is close as I have seen. I will attempt to e-mail you a picture, then you can ascertain
what I have and, possibly, fill in some of the blanks.
Kindest regards,
Melvin Tharpe in Birmingham....AKA "Marmaduke"

If it is like the 3591 without the blades in the handle, it is model 3596.

I told you wrong about how my blades are marked. My two slip joints (stainless blades) say "New Stainless Super Keen Cutting Steel." My folders and fixed blades with stainless only say "Stainless" or "Rostfrei." I only have one Puma with a carbon steel blade (Hunter's Pal) and it says "High Carbon Steel." I don't know when they stopped putting "Pumaster" on the blade, maybe it is a matter of switching from German to English. Then again, some models appear to have been marketed more for the US, others more for Europe, so that might explain the different marking. My brother has a nice red stag handle Outdoor that says Pumaster Steel. My grandfather bought it probably in the 60s or early 70s. For all I know he bought it in Germany.

A Puma catalog I have from the mid 90s says the carbon steel is Bohler NWN 80, 0.75% C, 0.25% Si, 0.5-0.8 Mn, 0.3-0.5 Cr.

Thanks to Don and Ken, my maverick PUMA has been indentified as
a model 3596 "Bavarian" Many thanks for the enlightenment. For all the years I've had this blade, I have never run across an ID or picture of it.........until now ! :)

The 3596 is a very traditional German knife design, someday I am going to have one (see below). The older carbon steel Pumas are very good blades, outstanding edgeholding.

Don - my older Puma is not an Outdoor, it is a Hunter's Friend. It has no control number, which means that it was made before 1964. Grandpa also has a 3596 that will someday grace my collection. From the appearance of his 3596, it is one of the few knives in his collection that saw much use. My Hunter's Friend is marked Pumaster Steel, while my Hunter's Pal (purchased in 1986) is marked High Carbon Steel.

My prospector (purchased in 1984) also sees regular participation in my rotation.

Hmmm...

So you think you'll get grandpa's 3596? You will notice that it is never one of those offered to children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren when the box of knives comes out. I suspect there will be discussion on this subject when the time comes. And not just us.

Back