Puma White hunter as bush knife?

By all means, if you like it, use it! If you have an old one in good condition, keep it and smile.

I think it's fugly. Over-engineered, based on a conglomeration of questionable features and the last few issues were made of mediocre steels, at best. If no one had ever seen it before and it hit the market today, it would be ridiculed as a marketing ploy. Which it probably was to begin with.

Sorry boys, someone had to say it.

That's quite alright, we're well accustomed to children acting out to get attention. ;)

You're absolutely right that HT has a huge effect on steel performance. Just out of curiosity, do you remember how the edge geometries compared between the two? Geometry also has a huge impact on cutting performance, and what supports short term ease also goes against long-term durability. Just wondering aloud as I'm interested to hear--I don't have much experience with the stainless Puma knives.

The Puma (model 941) has a thinner edge than the BM (mini Grip) I used. I have since reprofiled the BM a little to thin the edge and it is still a little thicker at the edge than the Puma. It wasn't that thick to begin with, I just wanted it thinner.

Both cut a decent amount of cardboard before losing the ability to shave arm hair, the Puma last a little longer.

Great knife. i have 2. both stainless a 1981 safe queen and a 2001 , which is my user.
funny thing is 2001 model better finished than eary one.
great knife , cant bring my self to chop with it though. not a great stab type blade.
great hunting knife.
the Luftwaffa used in 50s & 60s as a pilot knife

Back