Puma?

Just bought a Puma large stockman w/olive wood scales on Ebay. Know nothing about Puma. Good, bad or ugly?

the fit and finish of puma knives are not as good as they use to be, but you still can find decent made ones occasionally.

Weird knife. The main clip blade is perfect. The spey is is soft, by this I mean no walk 'n talk and it doesn't even close all the way every time. Overall the finish is ,at best, below average, it has sharp edges on the scales and bolsters that would wear out a pocket lining in a week. I's frustrating to see a knife that at first glance is beautiful to look at but because of a few small yet serious flaws only measures up to an average 'China Cheapie'.

unfortunately puma is not what it use to be. When I was stationed in Rheinmain Germany in the early nineties the quality was still pretty good. Now? well you take a risk, and the way things seem to be going with this company...not good.

Man, I must be getting old! I still remember when Walmart sold Puma knives in the display cases right next to the Shrades, Bucks and others. I remember buying a couple of super sweet stag handled Puma Stockman pocketknives for $42 apiece back in the 70s, and these were awesome knives. Serial numbered, matching stag, great fit and finish with nice walk and talk too. Now, unfortunately, I wouldn't buy a Puma knife, unless I could hand pick it off a table at a show. They have gotten THAT bad. Still some good ones out there though. You just gotta keep your eyes open.

Back