How To Purchasing a Grinder 101

gscreely

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I made this video in an effort to give an overview of some of the popular (and not so popular) grinders out there. The list is by no means complete but should help you see the differences and similarities between each one. No one sponsored the video or gave me a grinder (unfortunately), this is just some of my thoughts after owning or using quite a few grinders. I hope it is a help to the community.

For other's benefit: beginner here with a few years under my belt with a polar bear forge kit. I've been researching for years and trying to understand what I want and make decision soon. Budget and value is important, but I know the shortcomings of a cheapish grinder now and definitely want balanced and well made.

desires: horizontal tilt, large tool rest, all wheels provided by vendor, small wheel holder, surface grinder attachment, budget, value

I'm leaning towards the Ameribrade or the Vashti Pilot kit lately. Vashti hasn't released a SGA yet.

I have a Vashti Rift and it's a good machine, the Techtop motor appears to be very nicely made as well. If money were no object I'd be all over a Northridge. On the other hand I tend to spend my money with Canadian businesses as much as possible, and in my opinion Vashti creates some of the nicest looking machines on the market- not that that should matter, but...

desires: horizontal tilt, large tool rest, all wheels provided by vendor, small wheel holder, surface grinder attachment, budget, value

You won't regret the Ameribrade. Top notch product, large adjustable tool rests, awesome SG. Best customer service out there.

Back