Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Finally finished her up today getting delivered tomorrow.

r5jWaXZ.jpg

That is cool Scott, I bet your friend enjoys the hell out of that. Looking forward to seeing the handle project you've got goin o too;)

Are there any registered users or guests out there that lurk in this subforum? Post if you're out there. If you're a guest, register and say hello. http://www.bladeforums.com/register/

That is cool Scott, I bet your friend enjoys the hell out of that. Looking forward to seeing the handle project you've got goin o too;)

Are there any registered users or guests out there that lurk in this subforum? Post if you're out there. If you're a guest, register and say hello.
Thanks John, that was a fun project to do. Believe it or not the hardest part was turning the F&$^@%$#*& pegs. These are the third iteration and there still not symmetrical but he was cool with that. I'll work on the Kukri this week, got her burned in and epoxied up last night. Question for you, what finish are you using on wood? Tru-oil?

I usually go with a billion lite coats of Danish Oil, I've used tru-oil a few times but there's just something about it that I don't like. I did a CA finish on the mesquite burl, but was disappointed that it took some color out. It sealed really well, but I think it kept the wood from "burnishing" up, and you k ow how mesquite will get that really pretty red tone when it burnishes. Not sure if that's the right word, but you know what I mean. With the blackwood I've been doing I just wax it, it has so much oil in it I think a finish would be pointless.

Thanks, as much as I do woodworking you'd think I know more about finishes that's the weakest part of my game, If I can get tru-oil right it looks great but I can never get it just right for some reason. I am gonna give the danish oil a try.

Thanks, as much as I do woodworking you'd think I know more about finishes that's the weakest part of my game, If I can get tru-oil right it looks great but I can never get it just right for some reason. I am gonna give the danish oil a try.
Scooter, did you go with the Maple or Blackwood for the Kukri handle? BTW, I really like that cribbage board and think non perfect rounds for the pegs would go great with the non perfect angles of the board! :thumbsup:

Thanks Laurence, I went with Mesquite the Blackwood I had wasnt wide enough so I opted for Mesquite which I may end up dyeing black?
cr9uZ7X.jpg

Thanks Laurence, I went with Mesquite the Blackwood I had wasnt wide enough so I opted for Mesquite which I may end up dyeing black?
cr9uZ7X.jpg
Looks good! I would let all of the colors come out in the Mesquite for a couple of weeks before considering dyeing it! Like John mentioned, those Reds etc are beautiful !!

I wouldn't dye that Mesquite Scott. I'd sand it down really fine and bone it and that red will come alive in my eggsperience.

The Danish oil is a pain in the ass but comes out nice. I've had good luck with multiple light coats, twice a day for a week or so. I never put it on so it looks wet, just rub a tiny bit in over and over. It'll never dry otherwise.

I'm with you on tru oil, I've done it and it worked out nice, but most of the time something just ain't right.

First sanding I think I'll leave it natural with some Blackwood accents.

lFyuWfT.jpg

First sanding I think I'll leave it natural with some Blackwood accents.

lFyuWfT.jpg

Yeah Buddy! Mesquite will darken and change colors on its own! Go slow and see how she looks in a couple of days! Might not need any Blackwood Accents? I love it!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back