Puukko handle length... what's wrong with too long?

Hi,

I've read that a puukko's handle length should be about as wide as one's palm.

What if it's longer, say by an inch? What specific grips would become more difficult or less steady as the handle get's longer?

Thanks.

No obstacles to this no. In the far North are often made the handle longer, it was convenient to use in the cold in fur mittens.
http://rusknife.com/topic/10279-якутский-нож/?p=667553
http://rusknife.com/topic/10279-якутский-нож/?p=643095
http://rusknife.com/topic/10279-якутский-нож/?p=658759
cd8223d61fc1.jpg

cd8223d61fc1.jpg

I've crafted a number of puukko using Lauri PT blades and a few Helle laminated blades. I have average size hands, but I like a longer grip, so I make mine with a 4 inch handle.

Rich

Last edited:
I'll chime in for the other side: I hate a short handle as much as the other guy/gal but when a handle is too long or also bothers me that I am carrying around a useless inch of wood dowel and rattail tang. A blade that is 1" longer is more usable blade, a handle that is 1" longer is waste.

This could be because I am a product design engineer... You'd be shocked how much time someone can spend designing a handle for some things...

I have heard that a bushcraft blade (a la Kochanski) should be about as long as your palm is wide for better control of the point. I never heard that the handle length of a puukko is critical.

I go the impression the handle length would be about the width of one's palm based on posts like this:

http://www.bladeforums.com/index.php?threads/puukko-purist-questions.1460306/

Second post has this quote

So we say, that puukko-knife is a multipurpose tool and a temporary weapon. Puukko is small, alltogether about two palm widths long, and its length is divided almost in half between the blade and the handle. The less than one finger wide and quite thin blade, is straight from the backside and curved by the edge -- so the point is single edged. The blade of puukko is naturally made of steel, grindstoned and honed sharp. As was said, the handle of the puukko is as long as the blade, sometimes a little longer but almost never shorter. It is perfectly fit to fill a man's hand. The handle of puukko is naturally made of wood, usually birch, rarely curly birch -- and at the blade side end, there is a brass mounting. Often there is another mounting at the other end of the handle. The handles made of birch bark have always two mountings and the blade tang going through the handle is riveted. Puukko always has a sheath, and the sheath hangs from the carrier's belt --without sheath, the puukko is not complete.

Sakari Pälsi, Puukko p. 29-30 OTAVA 1955 (ISBN 951-1-15699-3)

Thanks for the responses. They kind of represent my (conflicting) states of mind:

A bit longer sounds more versatile. E.g. could use with/out gloves, etc. Smaller size is more trim and perhaps nimble. So, I figured I'd evaluate various grips that would benefit from the shorter handle and then go try them out. The only one I can think of so far is if you're pushing into the wood and you've got the butt of the knife against the your palm.

Cheers.

I think as "we" ( meaning people in general, not the enthusiasts that populate forums like this) have less and less need for a knife in day to day life visual appeal becomes a larger factor. People seem to find a knife more appealing if the blade is at least as long as the handle, regardless of how it functions. I admit that I like the looks of a longer blade myself, but when I reach for one to use, I grab one with a handle long enough to wrap my big mitts around and a blade long enough to do the job and short enough to control. 5 inch handle and 3 inch blade works for me, and if it offends some "purist's" sensibilities, well that's just a bonus.

Sakari Pälsi's guide to the puukko gives a general description not an absolute. Fundamentally, the puukko is quite compact and light compared to other sheath knives, the handle generally being about the same size as the blade or bigger but not smaller. That's more the Leukuu aspect. Some puukkot have small blades for carving detail work. In terms of grip, they often have a swell centre which facilitates grip by filling the palm and lowering the risk of slipping on to the blade, hence no real need for a guard. My hands close on the outside of the handle and I don't allow the end or butt of the knife to push against the palm when making fire curls or the like. Uncomfortable. Another point worth remembering is that the puukko has wooden or bark handles, there's no metal pins or tang exposed, so you can grip and control this very well without gloves even in harsh temperatures.. And as I mentioned, it's light which makes it easy to handle, precisely.

When carving a handle longer than the blade allows a better traction on the knife and thus better and finer controll of the cuts.

Anyway consider that general purpose puukko blades are in the 8-10 cm range while handles are in the 10-12 cm range, so nothing too long really.

Without gloves? In -40C? Would like to see this.

Well, not THAT cold but down to -10C is alright for me.:D

I realise Russian (Siberian rather) temperatures can be much lower than here in Finland, I have been out in -42C with a keen 9m/sec wind and that was murder, no I wouldn't take mitts off or anything else then!:eek:

Дети не ходят в школу, если на морозе ниже -40С. Если немного теплее, играя в снегу. Поэтому рукояти ножей сделанные под перчаткой.

Дети не ходят в школу, если на морозе ниже -40С. Если немного теплее, играя в снегу. Поэтому рукояти ножей сделанные под перчаткой.
OK, You win! -56 F. Ouch
Google gave me this translation,

Children do not go to school, if the cold below -40 ° C. If a little warmer, playing in the snow. Therefore, handle knives made under the glove.

Back