Python Micarta???

I stumbled upon Python Micarta the other day while browsing an online knife makers' supply. I ended up with something else, but since then I just cannot get the stuff out of my mind. I searched here and found references and some pics of finished scales in "Python." Not bad. Not bad at all!!! Given the unavailability of precious Snakeskin, its accidental and unreplicable nature, and the obvious market demand for the 'Skin or a similar Micarta, why does not The Bossman, Garth, & Co. offer it as an option?

My current favorite Micarta handles...

they look good + they grip really well

CPK Tri-Color Rag Micarta...:thumbsup:

buffed finish <top> unbuffed <bottom>

They remind me of the clouds on Jupiter or a camouflaged topographic map...

I'd love to see some on the Smatchet!!!

dMdPKAQ.jpg

uqn3dNS.jpg

I stumbled upon Python Micarta the other day while browsing an online knife makers' supply. I ended up with something else, but since then I just cannot get the stuff out of my mind. I searched here and found references and some pics of finished scales in "Python." Not bad. Not bad at all!!! Given the unavailability of precious Snakeskin, its accidental and unreplicable nature, and the obvious market demand for the 'Skin or a similar Micarta, why does not The Bossman, Garth, & Co. offer it as an option?

A few years ago I wrote Jerry a heartfelt letter about the large investment portfolio I was assembling with Busse snakeskin and tigerhide micarta knives, and I asked him for just one single favor ever, that he take them off the market so my kids can one day go to an out of state college. Bringing either of them back would take my kids straight to trade school, and the money's better there anyway so BRING ON THE TIGER AND THE SNAKE JERRYYY!!!

My current favorite Micarta handles...

they look good + they grip really well

CPK Tri-Color Rag Micarta...:thumbsup:

buffed finish <top> unbuffed <bottom>

They remind me of the clouds on Jupiter or a camouflaged topographic map...

I'd love to see some on the Smatchet!!!

dMdPKAQ.jpg

uqn3dNS.jpg

You could almost pass those off as a burl with the right shaping :thumbsup: First thing I noticed was *thread count?* Looks really linen like doesn't it? Certainly not any course thread canvas material. Looks amazing really, nice wood like color. Very sharp.

You could almost pass those off as a burl with the right shaping :thumbsup: First thing I noticed was *thread count?* Looks really linen like doesn't it? Certainly not any course thread canvas material. Looks amazing really, nice wood like color. Very sharp.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I want some!

Always around, just had to break away for a few!! Crackhead in a crack house type thing! Not to “poor mouth” but Doing this police gig doesnt exactly leave too much toy money and Jerry knows how to make blades that I “NEED”, so I blame Bully!!!!!!

Trying to get back into the Hog swing of things and what better place than with you fine group of Piglets!!!
Jason, 2 posts in 2 days!? Are you back after a long hiatus?

Python micarta is definitely one of my favorites. Here are some pics of knives I own, or have owned with python micarta scales.
4vioeQJ.jpg

3Oe1nSs.jpg

kRzBM2C.jpg
Apocryphiliac, those are great pics - thanks. I did not know that Python was being or has been offered on so many knives. BTW, who made those A2 blades in the third pic? Very clean lines. Nice.

So I cannot help but wonder, what with the strikingly similar look, as well as the closely and obviously related name, was Python developed as an homage and solution to the wildly popular (at least here) and happy but apparently unreplicable mistake called Snakeskin? I have not researched it, but the relationship seems obvious, right? Next question, if not exactly Snakeskin, it IS very similar, beautiful in its own right, available, and apparently would be well-received amongst the piglets and hogs, so why, oh why, is it not offered by the Bossman & Co?

Apocryphiliac, those are great pics - thanks. I did not know that Python was being or has been offered on so many knives. BTW, who made those A2 blades in the third pic? Very clean lines. Nice.

Those are [L to R] a Scott Gossman Polaris and a Gossman Ultra-Light Polaris. I have some larger blades in the Python, too, but just didn't happen to already have any pictures of them already. Maybe I'll snap a few more shots later today.

Those are [L to R] a Scott Gossman Polaris and a Gossman Ultra-Light Polaris. I have some larger blades in the Python, too, but just didn't happen to already have any pictures of them already. Maybe I'll snap a few more shots later today.

That would be super! thanks!

The cool thing about that python is, I believe it's made in like a waffle type press so that when sanded flat you get that layering of colors. I've seen a few vids where guys made their own textured plates to mold homemade micarta that way. The skies the limit really when you can do it all yourself. I've seen some wild stuff, kind of like the damascus of micarta material. I remember one where the guy used alternating sheets of black and white paper and it came out amazing.

The cool thing about that python is, I believe it's made in like a waffle type press so that when sanded flat you get that layering of colors. I've seen a few vids where guys made their own textured plates to mold homemade micarta that way. The skies the limit really when you can do it all yourself. I've seen some wild stuff, kind of like the damascus of micarta material. I remember one where the guy used alternating sheets of black and white paper and it came out amazing.

That is really interesting and sounds like fun. o_O
I thought that Micarta (and G10) were made under tons (literally) of pressure. Is that not the case? Your comment about these vids makes it sound like it is no more difficult than laminating wood - aside from using some heat.
Can you or anyone help with some additional information or details on this?

thanks!

Back