Q about KaBar & Ontario knives

I have seen Ka Bar USMC knife version with a Kraton handle. Is it a full tang construction or the only difference vs. a classic USMC one were Kraton instead of leather.

Ontario claims a full tang construction in the SP1 version. A question: does it have a metal guard? It looks to me like a 'plastic' guard.

How would you compare these two versions, KaBar vs. SP1?

Thanks,

Franco

I have seen Ka Bar USMC knife version with a Kraton handle. Is it a full tang construction or the only difference vs. a classic USMC one were Kraton instead of leather.

Ontario claims a full tang construction in the SP1 version. A question: does it have a metal guard? It looks to me like a 'plastic' guard.

How would you compare these two versions, KaBar vs. SP1?

Thanks,

Franco

The guard on the SP1 is metal but it's coated with the handle material.

I have a couple of the fixed blade Ka-Bars (Warthog, Fighter, KBD1 but not the USMC) and all are full tang. I don't think Ka-Bar would produce a fixed blade knife which is not full tang construction. If you can handle one you can check the grip end cap - you'll see where the tang projects through the grip end cap and on the side of the grip end cap you'll see the pi which goes through the cap into the knife tang which holds the blade, guard, handle (kraton or leather) and grip end cap together. It's basic, solid and reliable.

All of the Ka-Bar USMC's are full tang construction,the tang passes right through the butt cap,then pinned in place. The only difference being the handle material, whether it's leather or kraton, other than that there the same. As far as comparing Ka-Bar to Ontario, for me it's Ka-Bar every time, the fit and finish, the out of the box sharpness, the customer service Ka-Bar provides is all outstanding for a knife you should be able to pick up for 50 to 60 dollars.

Fit and finish wise, KaBar has beat out Ontario on the knives I own. However all my ontario's came sharp, and you can find them out there for a little less money. I went with a Kabar Kraton handle over the SP1 due to wanting the hammer pommel, and I also found a great price at the time. Also, the Mil-Spec Ontario Marine Combat Knife is milspec with weather proofed washers and a parkerized blade finish. Ka-Bar currently uses polished washers and an epoxy finish.

Thanks a lot, guys.
I can get, here in Croatia, both Kabar Marine Combat, the original (leather) and a new one (Kraton), and Kabar D2 Extreme Fighting knife.

Is a Kraton handle version a stronger one, vs. a leather handle? I undestand they both have the same tang (a tiny full tang).

Any experience with a Kabar's D2 steel?

Franco

Back