Q: Buck/Strider 888 logo

Hi there,

can you tell me if the logo on the Buck - Strider 888 is either,

STAMPED or LASERED ??????

Also did the nylon sheath come with 'MADE IN USA' tab on the back of each sheath with a flag ?.

I have in my pocession two Buck/Striders 888's and there are diferences.............. is one a rip off ?.

i'll try to get a picture up at some stage.

I have an 888 and it does not say 888 anywhere on the knife. On one side it has the Strider logo with the name Strider above it and the name Buck below it. Below on the tang are the letters sb.3 with an upside down u (2001 manufacture) beneath that.

On the other side of the blade is the BOS symbol with BOS beside it and under that is ATS-34 and under that U.S.A.

ALL ARE STAMPED INTO THE BLADE

Can you post pics of what you have? I have seen several recently on the famous auction site that appear fake!

hope this helps.

There have been multiple versions of the Strider Buck 888 Solution.

The original one was full flat grind. The last part of the blade was unsharpened meeting the finger choil.

This version came with the original Special Operations Equipment sheath.

Later versions had a half height hollow grind when Buck came out with that Edge 2000(I think it was called) and the blade was completely sharpened to the finger choil.

Later models did not have the SOE brand sheath but rather a generic one made to look similar.

Thanks for the replies, i will have the pics up on Saturday (Australian time).

I have been to online auction sites and seen counterfiets being sold. Most of the sellers are from Hong Kong but I did recently see one located in New York. I'll weigh in on the pictures when you can get them loaded.

As promised the pictures of the BUCK - STRIDER ?????????.

This post will be of the knife i received this week, hosted on photobucket.

• knife came boxed in a BUCK Knives box
  • ATS- 34 and BOS logo on outside
  • On the end of the box it states:
STRIDER TACTICAL
B888-00-0
(barcode + numbers) 0 33753 05164 7
08/16/04 MADE IN U.S.A​

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

This post is of my other Buck - Strider that i picked up 2nd hand, the original owner removed the front pouch from the sheath.

Its a real one :D

Pics below :)

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Last picture is of the two(2) knives together, the NEWlt RECEIVED KNIFE IS AT THE TOP OF THE PICTURE !.

IMG_2516.jpg

Me too, i'm waiting to see if i should give the seller of this knife some grief (selling fakes????).

Joe Houser of course would be the best to chime in on this matter.

FWIW, I've never seen(in person nor pics) of a 888 Solution which did not have the markings stamped. Furthermore, the grind on the 'fake' is rather straight unlike all other latter model(Edge 2000) which have a sweep back like you other knife.

The sheath of the 'fake' has your typical brass button snaps.

It's a pretty good fake indeed, copying number codes and box...

Yeah, where are those experts when you need them!!? :rolleyes:
This is a new one to me. I am trying to find someone here at Buck that knows for sure but I have to say, it looks real to me but I am unaware of any being laser marked.
That being said, if I had to say one way or the other, I would say it is legit.
I will follow up with a more definitive answer when I hear from someone in our engineering department.

Thanks Joe

i'm curious to see if i did get bargin or have been ripped, 50/50 either way on this.

I'm not an expert. I do own an early Strider Buck Solution. My sheath was made by Special Operations Equipment. The sheath on the later knives was made by Multi-Fab Inc. in Washington State, the sheath design was from Strider and SOE built them originally, then Buck switched suppliers. The SOE sheaths have green edging and the Multi-Fab had black. The picture of one of the Multi-Fab sheaths, that was on the Cliff Stamp review site, had a different snap. http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/solution.html than the brass one in your picture.

I went through the same questions that you are having, when I bought mine. There were one or two Chinese knock offs on Ebay at the time. When I was looking, I never saw a laser etched "Solution", (only stamped) but that doesn't mean that there never were any. Also, are the grooves on the blade spine the same depth on the two knives that you have? In your pictures they appear to be different. It seems that the finish on the laser etched blade is different. (Visible grind marks) The finish on the stamped mark knife is closer to what I'm used to seeing.(almost perfectly smooth). Again, it could just be the pictures.

Last edited:
Thanks Cadjak for the input :).

I think i may have answered my own question here.............................. the seller (yes it was *Bay) who is in Australia seems to be selling 'other' items that to me look suspect now, they were not there when i purchased the knife above.

Unsure if you want me to link the page here ? (i won't unless its ok to)

Here's the clincher !............................ a Buck Strider CAMO version !.

The seller though is not stating a brand or origin so he is obviously aware of its history.

Unless Joe can tell me any different i think i have a FAKE here, cheky bastards aren't they.

I'm thinking what to do with it now:

- see what it can do
- Garden tool
- sheath for a Strider
- use the G10 and blots for a project

W'ell see.

Back