"Q" for Doc Ron or others on snare wire

In your trapping video you recommend using 24ga. or 28ga. galvanized wire to make snares. Your resouce list shows using stainless steel wire.

Which is better?
Is 24ga. galvanized wire still recommended and what are it's limitations compared to the stainless steel wire?

Thanks for your help.

To piggyback on these questions, if stainless is better, where does one find 24ga stainless? In my area, Lowe's and Home Depot only offer stainless in 30 ga.

------------------
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

Ron mentions that the stainless wire is more expensive, and is found where you'd find fishing equipment. The galvanized is cheaper, and should work about as well and is found at any hardware store or even Walmart.

Stainless wire can be purchased in the fishing dept as 7-strand deep sea fishing line.
While at a swap meet I got a huge roll of .030" dia. inconel safety wire. Its annealed and forms to just about any size you want to wrap it in. Also got a smaller roll of about .050" dia. inconel wire. I think this stuff will make a super snare wire since it is not at all corrosive and forms and twists very easily.
On the 7-strand fishing line I use ferrels to crimp my loops with.
I also have a good supply of .024" music wire(spring stock) which is harder to form but once formed it stays that way.
Don't know what these wires are in gages but the size will give you an idea.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

[This message has been edited by muzzleup (edited 04-29-2001).]

I've never measured the thickness but, I've used 25# and 50# stainless, single strand wire fishing line. On a per foot basis it's cheap. It also works quite well. I've taken fox, mink, and beaver with the stuff; as well as "other" beasties.
Dan

thanks dan k for helping me out i was wondering if that stainless single strand fishing line would work, cabelas catalog has the 50 lb line at .025 diam. fyi

alex

I have a friend that ran an electric fence around his pasture to keep his horses in. fence is 24 ga. too heavy for use? i was looking at it today,and it just doesnt seem to have enough flex in it,also seems to heavy.any advice,or should i go to lowes and pic up some lighter stuff?

I've been using GI tripwire, the stuff that comes on a wooden spool, with two colors: OD and a dirty yellow. Seems to work pretty well, and is cheap at only $1.00 a spool from Cheaper Than Dirt. You get 80 feet of OD, and 80 feet of yellow, split on the spool into 4 alternating "mini-spools". I take a piece about 3 feet long, and turn it back on itself, making a double strand 18 inches long. Then, I put my forefinger in the loop, and twist the wire together. This doubles the wire, and provides your slip eye. I double the eye, making it smaller, and sort of self-locking. Then, tie to a piece of nylon twine and set in place. Never had one break.

I asked the same thing over on the Hoods site and this is the info I got:
Here is the link for the wire online:

www.mcmaster.com

Part Number: 8860K62 (1lb. Coil)

Sorry to be so tardy on this... We just got back from a trip down South and have been fixing the things that went wrong while we were out...

If you go to
http://www.survival.com/resource.htm

You will see our resource list. On there is our source for the best wire we have found for snaring. I now use the 24 ga soft stainless wire in the numbers on the list (302/304) Avoid the Monel as that is really an alloy and not nearly as strong as the malleable stainless.

I've tried trip wire for snares and though it is fine for very small game like tree squirrels it tends to break if a squirrel goes into a hole and covers up behind. also large rabbits and marmots break it routinely. Not so with the stainless.

I mentioned the galvanized only because anyone can fine it. You can also use safety wire as found at the better metal supply houses. it will be Sainless and malleable and is available in many guages.

I hope that helps.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Back