Q on Timberline Valotton vs. Kershaw/Onion Speedsafe

I have handled both...in fact, handled a Valotton yesterday for the first time. I didn't expect much at all, but was very impressed with it. The thing that concerns me about the Speedsafe models is that they use a linerlock and stop pin, which (only IMO) would be prone to quicker wear like hard-flicking any linerlock folder.

The Valotton(sp?) not only snapped open effortlessly but used the thumb studs as a blade stop, also a button-type locking mechanism. My only knocks were the bead-blast blade finish and only available in tanto point (the latter not really a problem). It's not as easy to close one-handed.

Anyone have an opinion on these models for regular use over a period of time? I realize the Valotton assisted opener is still new, and while both it and the Speedsafe are excellent, I particularly liked the feel and solidity of the Timberline model.
Jim

I have one complaint with the Timberline. The poor execution of the Tanto-type point. This is most apparent when comparing it to my CQC7 or stryker. The whole idea of a tanto point i thought was to maintain blade thickness as close to the tip as possible without compromising penetrating ability. The timberline distally tapers from about mid-blade to a very thin foward section. My theory is that this is to eliminate some mass from the tip area of the blade allowing a more snappy opening from the torsion bar, but this reallly defeats the whole tanto concept and was rather dissapointing to me, other then that the fit and finish is good and the price was right $49 at AG Russell With the Alunimum handles (amistake they will honor til april 10th)

Back